• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman R-405

BenWaB3

Well-Known Member
I recently picked up a Luxman R-405. There is a paucity of info on this model on the web so just throwing this out to the forum to see if any members have knowlege of it. It's from `85, so not one of the Golden Age Luxmans of the 70's. Alpine had aquired the company in `84 but this unit just said Luxman as opposed to Alpine/Luxman so I think I dodged that particular bullet. It has 55wpc & looks to be a bigger brother to the R-404 (not a lot of info on that one either) with 20 more wpc & more inputs. But that's the sum total of what I've been able to find out. I put a post on the Luxman forum at Yahoo but haven't gotten a response there. I'm not expecting it to stand next to the 1030-1120 line of the 70's but I really do like the sound, which is the bottom line I guess. Anyway, does anyone here have any opinions on this unit? Hope this is the correct forum - don't know if 25 gives it enough age to be considered vintage or not. TIA.

Ben
 
Register to hide this ad
I recently picked up a Luxman R-405. There is a paucity of info on this model on the web so just throwing this out to the forum to see if any members have knowlege of it. It's from `85, so not one of the Golden Age Luxmans of the 70's. Alpine had aquired the company in `84 but this unit just said Luxman as opposed to Alpine/Luxman so I think I dodged that particular bullet. It has 55wpc & looks to be a bigger brother to the R-404 (not a lot of info on that one either) with 20 more wpc & more inputs. But that's the sum total of what I've been able to find out. I put a post on the Luxman forum at Yahoo but haven't gotten a response there. I'm not expecting it to stand next to the 1030-1120 line of the 70's but I really do like the sound, which is the bottom line I guess. Anyway, does anyone here have any opinions on this unit? Hope this is the correct forum - don't know if 25 gives it enough age to be considered vintage or not. TIA.

Ben
Curious what your experience was with the 405 after owning it a while. I've got an L-1 and an L-210 now, both circa 1984 or so and I'm looking at adding a 404/405 if I can find a nice one for not much money lol. I would love a 1030 but my tech guy estimates it could get pricey if it needs much work done.
 
Back
Top Bottom