• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Luxman Suckface

jeff105

Active Member
I just picked up a Luxman RX-102 receiver.
The suckface feature wasn't working but I could hear the motor running.

I disassembled everything to get to the mechanism and find the belt is not broken but I'm thinking the belt is just stretched.

Anyone with experience on these mechanisms ?
Is the problem usually a broken belt instead of a stretched one ?

I'm going to try to get the replacement belt before I go any further.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have one, and the motor is dead... so I just pushed the front in, and wired it to hold in place. Also disconnected the motor, btw.
 
If the motor runs and the face moves freely...then a new belt should fix it. The belt might look fine but after 30 years, they do loose their grip.
 
Thanks guys.

The problem with mine is, that the motor was just running and running but the faceplate wasn't moving at all.

The faceplate works freely when pushing with my hands.

I'm hoping the new belt will fix it.

There was a guy on eBay selling belts for these.

Anybody else have a better source ?


Thanks Again
 
You know, I might just try locally.

I live in a fairly small town (60,000) but who knows, their might be a place or two that might have something that would work.

I will have feel pretty damn confident about it because it is actually somewhat a PIA to disassemble and reassemble everything.

As far as the belt itself, it looks like a black rubber band.:scratch2:
 
The "suckface" was a model marketed under Lux and BicLux. It was a reciever where a bezel would pull in (suck) exposing the controls more readily.

It's funny though. ...at one of the shops I worked at, we always referred to it as the "suckface", but I had no idea the name was used so universally.

Agreed, the belt is a PIA to reach for replacement.
 
I remember those. I thought they looked really cool, like HAL the computer from 2001. I hope to get one some day.
 
So what was the reason for this 'feature' - Childproofing? :scratch2: Keeping the dust off your knobs? :scratch2: seems like a waste of time to me...

John
 
Last edited:
I think it was for looks mostly, to give the appearance of a flush surface. I have a RX102 and KX102 or whatever the matching cassette deck is. The function wouldn't work on mine and I didn't care, so I disconnected the motors and locked the faces in the in position. I really like the looks of these, and they sound great!
 
That's what matters - if you like the look and the sound that's all you need :music:

Thanks for the explanation - simpler than I thought :D

John
 
I had one, the face was stuck in on mine and the motor ran continuously, so I disconnected it. I really liked the sound of it, very underrated receiver.
 
I might add that there is a limit switch that stops the motor at the extremes of the face position. It's probably a good idea to clean the switch (it's a leaf switch) so that the motor doesn't continue to run at the ends and ruin the new belt.
 
Back
Top Bottom