• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

M.R. Acoustics Speakers...any info on them?

Homer4beer

Well-Known Member
Hi guys,

I bought these today as part of a purchase of Marantz gear. Does anyone have any info on them at all? I can't find a thing on them. The dials on the back are quite interesting. I can't get the grill off the front either. I do not want to damage them in the attempt to remove.

MsxXRb.jpg


N0987M.jpg


jRtr50.jpg


Thanks guys,
Homer
 
Register to hide this ad
Pull the grilles and take pics of the drivers--could be a private label from a local/regional audio dealer, or "white van" specials--look like Advent "knock-offs".
 
Pull the grilles and take pics of the drivers--could be a private label from a local/regional audio dealer, or "white van" specials--look like Advent "knock-offs".

I've tried pulling the grills. They don't appear to simply "pop" off?
Region = Australia
 
This probably won't be of much help, but the speakers look like they date from the 1970s. Additionally, either they were modded by a previous owner or some labels are missing from the back - you'd normally have labels for each level control to differentiate. They look like real wood veneer, which means they're probably not total crap (but in the 1970s wood veneer was a lot more common than it is now).
 
It certainly does have a home made look of some or all drivers replaced. The outer screws on the tweeter look different. The poly/fiberglass coming out the port looks both overstuffed and in a condition that would never leave the factory. The midrange definitely looks original. If I was replacing drivers I'd definitely want midrange and tweeter controls to fine tune it.
 
it could be a 'house brand' made in somebody's garage for a local retailer. saw something like that once where the speakers were DIY looking but sold through a store.
 
Fire them up and see/hear what happens--you may have a "diamond in the rough" or fodder for the fire pit--only one way to find out.
 
It certainly does have a home made look of some or all drivers replaced. The outer screws on the tweeter look different. The poly/fiberglass coming out the port looks both overstuffed and in a condition that would never leave the factory.
It's worth noting that some old Infinity speakers from the early 1970s had overstuffed ports as well (although of course it wasn't coming out like that).
 
Ok I got the grills off. They appear to be Philips drivers.

rjQUjm.jpg


mB12qA.jpg
The makings are there for a great sounding speaker if they implemented a proper crossover. The big question is, how do they sound to you? Surely you've fired them up by now?

How about a pic of the crossover?

GeeDeeEmm
 
Back
Top Bottom