• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ma2275 or 2nd MC275 Purchase delema

ampsandsound

Active Member
I need help deciding whether to trade in my C220 for a MA2275.
Here it is: I have 3 systems. 2 in my listening room and 1 in the living room.

My Listening room uses 101db efficient Split Conscalas. C220 pre and Mc275.
The 2nd system is a custom pre and whatever amp I’m building, running some Heresy’s.

The 2nd system.... my wife uses. is a Custom Pre, Dynamo St35 I gave her, running some impressive conscalas... 102db efficient.

I have thought about buying a 2nd MC275 and going mono block... for some reason this nags at me and seems more work than I want.... but I do like loud. In the main system the C220 is lacking. Its ok... but nothing to write home about.
My thought is trade the C220 and buy a MA2275... 5k or so to do this vs the 4600 for the MC275. I like the idea of a Mcintosh integrated... tube... nothing better. It’s the meters :-). Trading up to a 2300 is almost as expensive.

If I went to the MA2275 for everyday listing... Id keep my dream amp... ther MC275 and put where my wife and I could enjoy... the living room. Seems like a spread the love idea vs hording the good stuff.... Thought please.

Sources are the Sony HD tune, Imac + music stream, Rega 324 when I have funds later in the year.

The living room is Ipod and tuner.


Please some input. (I want new... or I build it :-). and want Mcintosh Tubed)
 
Register to hide this ad
Having owned both the MA2275 and MC275MkV (several), you will be surprised at the difference in sound between the two. I tried to downsize from a C2200/MC275 to an MA2275 and it just would not work for me. No amount of tube-rolling could make the MC2275 sing in my system/room. After about two months I sent it back. Have you done any tube-rolling in the C220? The new Gold Lion reissue 12AX7 is getting good reviews. Have not heard the C220 long-term, but the C2200 was excellent with both my MC275 and the MC75 reissue amps. Think Audio Classics still has some NOS C2200 available that would save some $ over a C2300. That said, I also prefer the sound of a single MC275 over using them as monobloc amps when used with the 93db efficient Wilson speakers I had at the time. Think having a single pair of power devices per output channel provides the best sound. When I mentioned the big difference in sound between the MA2275 and MC275 to someone at McIntosh, that person stated that the power supply and autoformers are different and that is likely why they do not sound that similar. But, have gone over to the darkside (solid-state) with the power hungry new speakers. Obviously, YMMV. Always best to listen, if possible.
 
That's a tough call, but MX117.MC7150 has made a great suggestion to try replacing the stock tubes in your C220 with Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7's first. If you like that upgrade, then go one step farther and try Gold Lion's in your MC275. Could be a whole new ball game for you, and far less expensive than doing a blind upgrade to the MA2275, which you might not even want to keep :no:
 
I 110% agree with MX117.MC7150!!! :thmbsp:

I've owed both a C45+MC275V combo and a MA2275. The MA2275 (IMHO) didn't cut it. My old C45+MC275 combo was 10x's better sounding then the MA2275. To this day, I wish I would have kept the C45+MC275...:tears:
 
Ive tube rolled both. For me the true weak link is the Pre... I love the idea of simplicty. If I didnt had SS so much id get a MA7000 or MA6900.
I wish I coudl see it. Hard to judge without seeing it.
Next year Im buying less stuff and doing more listening. I have great speakers all above 100db I just want the Mc sound without the extra fuss. In the living room the MC275 would have a good home.
Anyone in LA have a MA2275 I can come hear or see.?

Justin
 
Well....... I also tried an MA6900. Unfortunately, it, like the MA2275 was a disappointment. McIntosh doesn't always get it right. The MC2102, MA2275 and MA6900 simply do not sound like the rest of the McIntosh gear I've had in my system.

Am surprised that you don't have a McIntosh dealer in the LA area that has an MA2275 for you to listen to.
 
My first McIntosh setup was an MCD205 into an MA6900. This sounded rather stark until I used an Audiophile APS power regenerator, Transparent Balanced Musiclink Plus interconnects, and Transpartent Musiclink Plus speaker cables. This then provided for a good digital/solid-state sound.
Next to try was the MA2275.I had read that McIntosh solid-state sounds a lot like McIntosh tube. I have not found them to be all that alike, and I think it is a matter of preference as to which one a person may decide they like best. I favor the tube sound and feel tubes are worth the extra bother. I consider the MA6900 to be a fine integrated, and the best I had ever heard, until the MA2275.
Next to come was the MDA1000 dac. The MCD205 alone is a very nice player, but I never imagined there was so much to be had until adding the MDA1000.
A while ago McIntosh offered a “trade-up” program, and I took the opportunity to trade in the MA2275 for a C220/MC275 combo. The MDA1000 can be run directly into an MC275, so the C220 was not strictly necessary. As it turns out the C220 adds a touch of roundness to the sound, which I like, and adds some capabilities that are quite useful.
A really large leap in performance came with the addition of a second MC275. The gain was similar to that provided by the MDA1000. I can only dream as to what a pair of MC2301 would do in the system.
FYI, the speakers I have used throughout are B&W Signature 805.
Hope this is of some value,
Regards, Stuart.
 
I think my deal is done. I searched multiple online fourms... Im giving up the C220 for a MA2275.
The MA2275 will be my main listening system and the MC275 will go to my living room which has needed a decent amp for some time.

I truely hope Im right that this will be a good choice for me.

Justin
 
Good deal Justin!

First order of business with the MA2275....you will need to purchase some NOS tubes to replace the Mc stock set. One thing for sure....the MA2275 is a work of art. IMHO, it's one of the most beautiful Mc pieces ever made.

BTW....when I purchased my MA2275, I used Audio Classics. They will give you a great deal on a refurb unit - PLUS you will have a warranty.

Enjoy!
 
Good deal Justin!

BTW....when I purchased my MA2275, I used Audio Classics. They will give you a great deal on a refurb unit - PLUS you will have a warranty.

Enjoy!
Ditto........... and, if your experience with the MA2275 is not to your liking, you can trade it back in on another MC275/preamp, etc.
 
I will have to wait to feb... tax refund. My dealer knows me so they will order to have ready by then. I think all tubes will be new/nos tubes... keeping the orig set origonal. I hate their choice of signal tubes.
 
Good choice. I have a MA2275 and use it all day, everyday and love every minute of it. It's a beautiful amp. I agree, that the first thing you'll want to do is get the stock tubes out of it. I have all NOS telefunkens and RCA for the small tubes and the Gold Lion reissues for the KT88s. It's a great combo and offers a solid tube sound, without sounding "too warm." I got mine for a great price through AudioClassics, where Frank Gow sold it to me. I can't rate AudioClassics high enough.

Matt
 
The good news is that you are making a decision on two great units! The hard part is making the choice! Both are very good sounding pieces. I would say that a pair of MC275's will give you more flexibility (4 channels... lots of bi-amping options!) and you will be more than doubling your power. In you setup this would be the biggest gain you can get.
 
ma2275 a great choice

I've had my ma2275 since 2007, and no matter what speakers I've tried, it has provided the best sound I've ever had in my house. My wife even loves it, and says it's the best looking piece of audio gear she's seen.
 
Well....... I also tried an MA6900. Unfortunately, it, like the MA2275 was a disappointment. McIntosh doesn't always get it right. The MC2102, MA2275 and MA6900 simply do not sound like the rest of the McIntosh gear I've had in my system.


Can you elaborate on this? I was thinking of getting an MC2102.
 
Well..........not being a pro reviewer, I can only say that these pieces did not 'sing' in my system like the other McIntosh pieces I've owned. In particular, I wanted additional power and tried the MC2102 in place of the single MC275MkV. While more powerful, to my ears the MC2102 was flat sounding compared to the MC275MkV. Simply not as musical. Not as bad as the MA2275 when I tried it some months later, but clearly a step down. I found that the new MC75 mono bloc pair is just slightly better than the single MC275, but only by a small margin at the bottom. If I should end up with tubes again at some point, I can't imagine it would be anything other than an MC275MkV. Obviously, just what I've heard in my system and YMMV.
 
I am extremely pleased with my MA2275. Although this is my first piece of McIntosh gear so I can can compare to the other models.

I do not have room for seperates that is why I chose the MA2275. Like I said I am extremely happy and I love the sound.

Joe
 
The solution for me was to use the MA2275 was my primary rig... Imac + DAC, Tuner and soon a new table. I hope Ill have the silent noise floor my C220 did and the grunt of my MC275. Ease of use kicks but... I like the soft start feature too... at $7500 it will prob be my only audio related purchse this year.

My wife was kind enough to let my 1st Cornscala's make their way to the living room. The ST35 I had just didnt have enough grunt to push the Cornscalas the way my MC275 V does.
 
Back
Top Bottom