• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MA5100

ajward549

Super Member
I am planning for a new addition and need some help. I am adding a MA5100 and am unsure if the cabinet will fit where I need it to or not. Can someone tell me the exact outside width of their cabinet? And are you using an L12 or L52? I’ve read that the L52 will work for the 5100, but would the L12 be period correct? Thanks everyone, I’ve search for this answer for some time and have found it difficult to find!
 
Register to hide this ad
The L12 is the period correct case. The MA5100 does not have panloc, so the amp did not come with them. If you find a case with the panlocs someone's unit in a previous time was shorted them, since you can not use them, screws from the bottom would hold the MA5100 in place.
 
Actually, there are cabinet brackets / panlocs for the MA5100. I had a MA5100 and L12. The MA5100 doesn't have the panloc buttons on the front of the unit like most vintage McIntosh pieces. It has 2 bolt holes on the rear on each side of the amp. These panloc brackets have an angled wrap around with a hole for the bolt that marries up properly. I think this works and looks better than the other normal McIntosh panloc design. I bought my brackets at Audio Classics for around $50 or so. I think they also had the threaded lock bolts too.
 
Last edited:
Actually, there are cabinet brackets / panlocs for the MA5100. I had a MA5100 and L12. The MA5100 doesn't have the panloc buttons on the front of the unit like most vintage McIntosh pieces. It has 2 bolts on the rear on each side of the amp. These panloc brackets have an angled wrap around with a hole for the bolt that marries up properly then you tighten in place with a nut. I think this works and looks better than the other normal McIntosh panloc design. I bought my brackets at Audio Classics for around $50 or so.
Thanks!

What is the outside width of the l12?
 
Still working on plans for the addition of a new-to-me MA 5100. My speakers are 6 ohm, which would be the best tap to connect to?
 
I went from a MA 230 to a C-22 and a 240 and then a second 240. But I was really surprised when I heard the first 5100. They had a smoothness the 230 never had. They were a great surprise to me. My favorite of the series was the 6200. But a 5100 is still a great choice. And the above paragraph does not apply to current units with the extra dynamic head room. If fact they are designed to drive the next step down in impedance and still meet specs. Thats because the have the larger power supplies and extra margins in all the components. The quad balanced amps in particular.
 
I have a 5100 and Ohm Walsh 2-100s. I have run them off the 4 ohm and 8 taps. 4 always sounded better. I was advised to run it at 4 and was told it would deliver more power, headroom and better handling. Done it for maybe 8 to 10 years when I use that amp in my system. No apparent issues or heat. My unit is mostly original, a couple caps and resistors changed by Terry DeWick and some minor upgrade that was I think a factory recommendation. Sounds very good, a little better than when it was originally bought. More resolution and clarity.
 
Back
Top Bottom