• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac 1900 at the Bay

johnda

Addicted Member
I came across this Mac on EBay, and I am drooling. The background for this receiver is darn interesting and a fun read. I just bought a new car, so my fun budget is blown right now, but perhaps somebody out there might be interested. Or perhaps the background info will scare the heck out of you! Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MCINTOSH-MAC-19...ryZ50593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck, and if you DO go for it, I would love to know how things turned out.:yes:
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, I just checked again. The Mac 1900 went for $461. Was it an AK'er who got it? I'd love to know how everything worked out. I would have gone for it, if I was free to do it.
 
Someone got a really good deal. A case where a unit is getting close to real value for a working unit.
 
Someone got a really good deal. A case where a unit is getting close to real value for a working unit.

I'm not being flippant, but why is $461 plus shipping, a good deal?

I got my 1900 for quite a bit less than that. And mine came with the wood cabinet, which is in beautiful condition. And I thought I'd only got a fair deal at best.
What's the going rate for a 1900 lately?
 
Considering almost any unit this old needs somework to be #1 grade operationally and considering the going price of 1 with cabinet plus the cost of an alignment and being brought up to spec, it is overall a good deal. Person need look beyond the going price on eBay and consider the total cost of procuring and bringing up to spec. I think the going rates for these are hitting close to $350-400 currently. If you add just $150 for nothing more than an alignment you're almost at or over the price paid for something that was completely gone through by McIntosh and not simply by the local tech who repairs a toaster, then a microwave, then a Panasonic and then the 1900. You'll find more Mc owners are more concerned about the quality of and who does the repairs.


For instance, I bought a Sherwood system for about $100 that was about the going price on that auction sight and spent another $300 to bring it up to spec and an alignment. The real value for a set in original spec probably is less than the $400 I have into my pair but it is less than the original purchase price and I'd probably not sell for the $400 invested as the value to me is higher.
 
Not mentioning any names, but there is a technician who sells these Mac 1900s on a regular basis after he goes through them, replacing anything that needs replacing, and then cleaning, lubing, and finally testing. After everything checks out, his price tag is generally right around $800 plus shipping. So, whomever won that 1900 on eBay, got a good deal.




Retro
 
Last edited:
Considering almost any unit this old needs somework to be #1 grade operationally and considering the going price of 1 with cabinet plus the cost of an alignment and being brought up to spec, it is overall a good deal. Person need look beyond the going price on eBay and consider the total cost of procuring and bringing up to spec. I think the going rates for these are hitting close to $350-400 currently. If you add just $150 for nothing more than an alignment you're almost at or over the price paid for something that was completely gone through by McIntosh and not simply by the local tech who repairs a toaster, then a microwave, then a Panasonic and then the 1900. You'll find more Mc owners are more concerned about the quality of and who does the repairs.


For instance, I bought a Sherwood system for about $100 that was about the going price on that auction sight and spent another $300 to bring it up to spec and an alignment. The real value for a set in original spec probably is less than the $400 I have into my pair but it is less than the original purchase price and I'd probably not sell for the $400 invested as the value to me is higher.

Well yes, mine did require a little TLC, to bring back up to spec. But even factoring in the price of a full service from certified McIntosh tech, Tim Schwartz at Bristol Electronics. Mine was considerably less than the final overall price that was paid, for that one on eBay.

Now I will grant you, having Tim service your 1900 doesn't have the ring as having McIntosh do it. But I've been more than satisfied with mine.

I guess I really did get a helluva deal after all!!!:banana:
 
You did. I am not a particular lover of the 1900 receiver as I tend to favor the 1700 but, in that price range for 1 that meets specs or less, you came out the winner. The 1900 is a relative bargain in Mc terms and a great way to experience what a Mc can sound like though it will make you want yearn for even more Mc.
 
Back
Top Bottom