• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac 1900 v Mac 4100...

silversport

Super Member
...I have done the searches and other than power and the volume/power switch problems of the 1900 has anyone had both? How do they compare and contrast.

Sorry for the newbie questions on McIntosh but I have never owned but always loved them from afar...I see these many times on audiogon and eBay but was just curious as to any opinions of those that have heard/own(ed) either of these Mac receivers.

I like the more "classic" looks of the 1900...it's blue lights and glass but the 4100 is still classic and has at least a generation better SS parts.

Pleas base your answers on them running correctly and at their best, like after a trip to Terry's spa.

Thanks for any info or directions you can point me...it will be coupled to Klipschorns @ 104dB efficiency...

Thanks,

Bill
 
Register to hide this ad
Why will the 1700 sound better...it has solid state amp with a tube tuner, right??? 1500 is all tube but I would prefer SS...
thanks,
Bill
 
I run both the 1900 and the 4100. I use the 1900 with Vandersteen 1c's and the 4100 with DCM Time Windows. The 1900 seems to be prone to dirty controls, need to be cleaned from time to time. The 4100 is flawless. It, as you know, has a bit more power. It also has more features. But, that is why it costs a bit more. You can't go wrong with either one.
Larry
 
spot said:
Mac 1700 will sound better with the K-horns; if you can live with the looks that is?

You think the Khorns are that bad? :rofl:

I like the more "classic" looks of the 1900...it's blue lights and glass but the 4100 is still classic and has at least a generation better SS parts.
I think you answered your own question quite well.
Personally, I think a 4100 over a 1900 is a no brainer. The 4100 would look much better without the silly rack handles. Then again, some people like rack handles.

Carl
 
Sure, the 1500 (tube output) will sound better than a 1700, but they are hard to find and much more expensive. The 1700 is a mr67 and a ss amp combo, and there are lots of them available at a reasonable price. The irony is the 1700 is cheaper than a comparable condition mr67!
 
Never had a 1900, but have a 1700 and a 4100. The 1700 is a fine receiver, smooth and very sweet sounding. The 4100 is all the better, more power, more knobs to fiddle with...if that's your aim. You can't go wrong with either.
 
Thanks,
I think I am liking the beautiful (to me at least) classic look of the 1900 (all back lit and blue) along with that walnut slant leg case...should I need more power later (...and who wouldn't...) I can add a power amp with some of those gorgeous big blue meters... :)
Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom