• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac 4100 as a pre-amp

oneputt

Active Member
I'm thinking of buying a Mac amp and had thoughts of using my 4100 as a pre-amp. I know this is possible but is it a good idea. If not what pre-amp would pair up with a 2125 or 2105 which is what I'm after. Anyone have any opinions? Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Can absolutely be done but why not just use the MAC's own power section? The capability of either of the others will barely provide any SPL output advantage over that of the MAC nor will they sound or perform any better.
 
Last edited:
I've used my 4100's preamp section to run a couple of Mcintosh amps (mc2125 being one) with very good results.
 
I did this with a MAC1900 for a while. The 1900 was my first Mc and I'd had it for a while when I bought an MC2125. If I am being honest, part of my motivation was I really wanted those blue meters. The 1900 worked fine in its preamp role but not too long after that I came across an MX-117 locally and replaced the 1900 with it. Again, part of the motivation was aesthetics - the 117 matches the 2125 better and looks nicer on the shelf.

Once nice thing about starting with a receiver is it's capability to be used as a preamp makes it possible to build a system piece by piece over time rather than all at once.
 
Other advantage with the receiver as tuner/preamplifier. You can use it as a receiver, if your power amplifier requires servicing. Instant backup system.

Totally true. Plus you can use a Y cable between the preamp outs and the external amp and run extra speakers from the receiver’s amp if you want. Very flexible setup.
 
Ok I recently moved my Luxman integrated 505 UxII amp out of my main listening room and have it here in my secondary listening place. After a lot of fiddling I have the Luxman working as solely the amp, and the 4100 as the pre. Have it set so as to where the volume is adjusted with the 4100. However I cannot figure out how to get the SVS 1000 sub working. I think maybe right off the same Luxman speaker taps. I think I had it that way but in the fiddling to get sound unhooked them. Took a while to figure the jumper thing out. Maybe I will try next time I need to get behind rack. Actually the Advent Smallers are sounding mighty mighty fine with the Luxman in the mix, even with no sub. As in way better.
 
Back
Top Bottom