• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac 4280 or 4300V with remote

Wolfygang

New Member
Hi!
I currently have a Mac 4100 (recapped) but am really missing the remote I used to have in my previous system (Sony ES pre-amp). Occasionally I get a severe back issue, and I need to lie down for quite a while. It would be lovely to control the volume from where I am on the couch rather than jump up every time I change CD's or even different musical sections.
I am looking for one of these units because they both have remotes and I would like to adhere to the KISS principle now with my audio equipment (receiver rather than separates).
It appears though that the 4280 is not as well received here on AK as the 4300 or even the 4100.
Will I notice that much of a difference musically going from the 4100 to the 4280?
If so, does anyone have a line on a good 4300V? I can't seem to find one in good shape anywhere. I hear it is basically the same amp and preamp wise as the 4100. Thanks
WK
 
Register to hide this ad
Yeah, I guess, but that's not in keeping with my "K.I.S.S." principle. I'd rather just find the right receiver, but thanks.
 
CR10 is primarily intended for multi room applications. CR7 would be the appropriate unit for adding remote to a dedicated one room system.

I wouldn't recommend the MAC4280. It's alright but not up to the MAC xx00 models. MAC4300 is a great unit which is essentially MC754 + C31C + MR7082 combined.

The 4300 has a few more features that can be remote controlled than the CR7 will provide but if remote control of volume and on/off functions are all that are needed, the CR7 with the MAC4100 will serve just fine. It will also provide two additional inputs which can be selected by remote control. It'll be significantly less expensive than buying a MAC4300 with a lot less hassle.
 
Last edited:
Will the CR7 or CR8 also control the headphone outputs? There is a CR8 on ebay, but pretty expensive.

CR8 is an accessory to the CR7 (and C31/35/37 preamplifiers) enabling these units to be controlled from another location. Without a CR7 (or relevant preamp), a CR8 is useless.

The CR7 will influence the volume of the headphone jacks when connected through one of the tape loops which is the best way to get the most out of the unit.
 
Last edited:
Ok, now I understand. But still too complex. Would rather just get a unit with the remote. Will wait for a 4300 and enjoy my 4100 in the meantime.
Thanks guys
 
Not complex at all. Two sets of IC cables is all it takes and you're off to the races.

Slightly less elegant than a single unit I agree but a MAC4300 in good condition with a clean bill of health will probably run ~ $2,500 from a reputable seller like Audio Classics or $1,500 in the eBay crapshoot + shipping, followed by a round on the bench at Audio Classics + shipping both ways by which time you're close to what buying a finished one would have cost in the first place.

The simple alternative of $200 - $300 for a CR7 seems almost like a bargain to me...
 
Yes, but the 4300 will give me an extra 25WPC in the bargain.
Just to shift gears a bit, I have a guy trying to sell me a Yamaha natural sound receiver RX797 with remote.
Have any of you listened to this 100wpc receiver?
 
BTW, I have been looking for a CR7 on ebay and they are as rare as 4300's. And when they come around, it's not for $2-300
 
Yes, but the 4300 will give me an extra 25WPC in the bargain.
Just to shift gears a bit, I have a guy trying to sell me a Yamaha natural sound receiver RX797 with remote.
Have any of you listened to this 100wpc receiver?

Yamaha is not in the same league. Your 4100 blows it out of the water.

The CR7 is fantastic if you can find one. They do not pop up often. Finding one is the most difficult thing about it.
 
I paid $200 for each of my CR7 systems which was a while back but ~ $300 today should certainly be doable if willing to be patient. Just make certain they have the remote which are often missing.

Keep an eye on eBay, Canuck Audio Mart, Audiogon and a WTB listing here in the Bartertown section of AK certainly couldn't hurt. Also a WTB posting in the Vintage McIntosh FB page wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I would be surprised if one couldn't be secured in 6 months if these steps are followed.
 
Last edited:
Everything is going up though. There is a CR-7 on ebay right now (#392725503178) that the person wants over $700 for. and... IT'S MISSING THE REMOTE!
Not sure what they are smoking, but I think I'll keep looking for a 4300v
 
Everything is going up though. There is a CR-7 on ebay right now (#392725503178) that the person wants over $700 for. and... IT'S MISSING THE REMOTE!

Which is why it's been for sale for months and will remain so until whatever he's smoking has cleared his head.
 
Back
Top Bottom