• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac Advise

wirewood

Wirewood
Mac advise,

I'm thinking of getting a McIntosh amp to mate with my MX-110 preamp-tuner. Sound is the most important thing to me but I have other considerations I have to accommodate. I prefer vintage tube stuff. I really like the sound. I don't need tons of power but I would like at least what my Dynaco ST-70 has. I am looking for something I can listen to for ever pretty much, I don't see myself buying another amp after this for my music room stereo. I will spend up to 2000.00 but it's important to me that I buy wisely and whatever I get will appreciate. I will be selling or trading vintage Fender guitar amp to make this purchase so I'm hoping to just change my investment and get some good use out of it! Any ideas or advise will be much appreciated, I hope I'm not asking for to much!

Brian
 
Register to hide this ad
Funny, I did the same thing; trading my Fender Pro Reverb amp along with a Fender Rhodes keyboard. I get much more use, satisfaction from my McIntosh. I traded in for the MC2105. Not tube, but still a fantastic amp!

Good luck with your purchase. You're making a wise choice going with McIntosh.
 
David said:
I would suggest a nice MC2200.

Not only would it provide you with ample power,
200wpc, but would mate cosmetically with your
MX 110. ( both having the silver faceplate).

http://www.audioclassics.com/detail.php3?detail=MC2200
Now that is one substantial chunk of equipment!!
Weighing in at 73 lbs, it's no piece of sheetmetal. :thmbsp:

Although it doesn't have power meters, it would match the MX 110 panel nicely.

Also a good choice in the smaller form-factor, and still weighing a hefty 65 lbs, is the MC 2120..

tmc2120.jpg


http://www.audioclassics.com/detail.php3?detail=MC2120


IIRC.. the resale price of McIntosh equipment is generally 0.67x
or 2/3 its original NEW price tag, but of course can vary.


-Gregory


[size=-2]"McIntosh instruments have been and are the LABORATORY STANDARD for the world."[/size]
 
Thanks but?

Guys,
Thanks for your thoughts but I'm interested in the vintage tube stuff, arn't these SS units?


Brian
 
With your budget, you've got a number of choices, actually.

The MC-225s and MC-30s would fit your requirements, I believe, and perhaps an MC-240 but those seem to be flying quite high in price these days for pristine copies.

If you're willing to accept a model in less than perfect cosmetic condition, then you'll be able to also afford the restoration its going to take to get the amps back to reliable operating condition. I tend to lean towards those poor, abused Mac tube amps that can be restored to sound like the perfect ones but with more pitting on the chrome and the occasional hole drilled in them here and there.

The other approach, if you're up for spending just a bit more money is to consider a used MC-275IV - the latest version. This would be viable for a couple of reasons, but mainly that it wouldn't be hard to get service if you're not technically inclined to do the restoration on a vintage unit. Sort of like getting vintage tubes without the vintage hassles.

In any case, they'll mate well with the MC-110 and you'll be there! Have you done any updates to the MX-110?

Cheers,

David
 
MC-240 - 40 wpc tube. I would love to have one of these but I just haven't found the right one.

Murray
 
Yes Brian they are SS units...however...they sound very tube like. All vintage Mac first and second generation SS gear is going to have a definite leaning to the tube side, as compared to other designs of that time.

If I may suggest... you may not be able to find a vintage mac tube amp, say like a MC 275, (which would get you about the same power output as the Dynaco unit), for what you've said you were willing to spend.(up to 2k), unless you get one that's probably going to need TLC of some kind.

Heres an example from Audiogon.....
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1171496661

If you could stretch your budget a little, a well cared for MC 275 is the one to get if your looking for great Mac tube sound :yes:
 
wirewood said:
Guys,
Thanks for your thoughts but I'm interested in the vintage tube stuff, arn't these SS units?


Brian

If want vintage tube suggestions tell people you're interested in solid state! Don't you know anything:scratch2:
 
David said:
Yes Brian they are SS units...however...they sound very tube like. All vintage Mac first and second generation SS gear is going to have a definite leaning to the tube side, as compared to other designs of that time.

If I may suggest... you may not be able to find a vintage mac tube amp, say like a MC 275, (which would get you about the same power output as the Dynaco unit), for what you've said you were willing to spend.(up to 2k), unless you get one that's probably going to need TLC of some kind.

Heres an example from Audiogon.....
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1171496661

If you could stretch your budget a little, a well cared for MC 275 is the one to get if your looking for great Mac tube sound :yes:

A Dynaco ST70 is only 35 wpc. He wouldn't need a MC275.

You should be able to find a nice MC240 or a pair of MC30's for $2K. I would send any tube amp to an experienced tube serviceman. Ask here for suggestions. If it's in orignal condition it will not sound nearly as nice as it should. If it's been modded by some DIY guy, you'll never know if it was done right or not.
 
scott0527 said:
A Dynaco ST70 is only 35 wpc. He wouldn't need a MC275.

You should be able to find a nice MC240 or a pair of MC30's for $2K. I would send any tube amp to an experienced tube serviceman. Ask here for suggestions. If it's in orignal condition it will not sound nearly as nice as it should. If it's been modded by some DIY guy, you'll never know if it was done right or not.


I think I said "about" the same wattage...... but WTF do I know..I wouldn't know Dynaco from Dynaudio, to be honest.
 
My system is all McIntosh with the exception of a ST 70 driving AR 3a's. The ST 70 gives a lot of bang for the buck and for those of us that simply can't afford a McIntosh tube power amp, is a good alternative.

My system:
C 26 / (C24 as a spare)
MR 7082 / (MR 73 as a spare after restoration)
CR 7
MCD 7008 / (Linn Mimik as a spare)
MQ 102
St 70 / (another ST 70 as a spare)
AR 3a / (another pair of AR 3a's as spares)
Tascam DAT & Cassette decks / Denon cassette as a spare)
Crown Tube R to R decks / Yes I have another Crown R to R as a spare)
Thorens TD 145 MII/Shure M97xe / Thorens TD 165 as a spare)

I guess I better explain all the spares. I work in live theatre and in order that the show must go one, we have lots of back-up equipment. It's a habit.

Seriously, the ST 70 is a very good choice for a tube power amp on a budget.

Clyde
 
Brian,

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet.

MC30 - mono, 30 wpc
MC60 - mono, 60 wpc
MC225- stereo, 25 wpc
MC240 - stereo, 40 wpc
MC275 - stereo, 75 wpc
etc.

I've heard too that Mac rated very conservatively.
 
Back
Top Bottom