• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mac vs the Japanese

I have been an audio "nut" since the 1050s (when my parents would finally let me touch their "hi-fi" system - a mono Magnavox). In the 1960s I was building amps & tuners from kits (Lafayette and Harmon-Kardon).
In my teenage years I thought I wanted to be a jazz musician (but after two or three "gigs" I found out a needed a "day job" to earn a living).
I was also the conductor (and ersatz recording engineer) for a 50 piece volunteer orchestra for several years.
This background taught me what real acoustic sound was supposed to sound like in it's native environment.
I have had both Oriental built gear and US built gear. My early components were Lafayette, Harmon-Kardon, Sansui, Magnum Dynalab, Pioneer, Sony, Luxman, Teac, and Yamaha. After a few years I could afford Carver gear.
While using the Carver gear, I obtained my first piece of Mac gear (MS7270) When I first hooked it up i thought the MC7270 was lacking in the treble. I put on some source material with plenty of treble content. It came through VERY clear.
I then realized the Carver gear (and most of what I had heard previously) was lacking in low mid-range response.
I have wanted McIntosh gear since 1964, but at a wage of $1.50 an hour it was WAY out of my price range.
It wasn't until working several years as a CPA that I could finally afford Mac gear, and at that time still not new, but used.
Since then I have collected over 20 pieces of Mac gear. My personal favorites are four MC2255s. Although my two MC7270s speck out better on the test bench, at age 79 I can not tell a difference. My preference for the MC2255s is that it was the last Mac amp with a chrome chassis, it has very good "overload" protection, and it goes through a "self test" set of procedures that will beep as each test is successfully completed. I also have two MC2500s, and a MC2205.
All but three of my Mac units are at least 40 years old, and still work flawlessly. The "newer" ones are the Men 220, the Moving Coil cartridge. and the Moving Coil preamp.
Recently I acquired a pair of KLH Model Nine full range electrostatic speakers, and sent them to David Janszen for a complete re-build. With my 40 year old Mac gear and a pair of 50 year old speakers, the resolution and detail are OUTSTANDING! You can tell the difference between an alto sax and a tenor sax, a "stand up" bass and an electronic bass, a violin and a viola, a flute (in its top octave) and a picollo. a grand piano and an upright piano,etc. Also when hearing strings, you do not hear "a set of strings", you hear individual violins, When listening to a chorus you do not hear a single sound, you hear individual voices.
Aside from the "Pride of Ownership" matter, I really appreciate the sound quality I get from this vintage gear.
So, I am FIRMLY in the McIntosh camp. I will say that as long as Saul Marantz was in the company, much of his equipment was equal to (or in some cases possibly better than) Mac gear.
Yes, I enjoyed the earlier equipment I had. I do not want to disparage the other manufacturers.
But with the full range electrostatics and the vintage Mac gear, I hear detail and clarity I have never heard before. My first exposure to the KLH Model Nines was at a local audio store about 1970. They had a Crown tape deck playing a jazz quintet at a supper club through the KLH Model Nine speakers. The most outstanding item was that I could hear the customer's silverware hitting their plats. I remember that sound from the few "gigs" I tried to play when I was younger. I have not heard that from any other speaker.
Could any of my earlier gear generate that level of detail for the speakers? I do not know.
Thanks,
Jiim
 
E
Brian, very well put.

To really shorten this debate up, the McIntosh gear is going to outperform all but the very tiniest percentage of other gear. That tiny percentage will be it's equal, and I doubt very much that anything can top McIntosh in all-around performance, durability, beauty, value and prestige.

BTW, I've never owned a piece of McIntosh gear. Out of my league, I'm afraid.
Every time I think about purchasing Mc I say to myself “Why”. Yeah, it would look cool and all but I enjoy my system so dropping huge $ makes no sense whatsoever.
 
was sitting here reading, and found myself wondering how mcintosh ss compared to similar vintage ss from the more familiar names. i've been reading in this forum for a while, and it just occured to me that i almost never see mac mentioned.i mean, i know mac has its own forum, but so does pioneer, and you get plenty of pioneer talk in here. anyways, i guess what i'm wondering is,now, 30+ years later, how does vintage mac stack up against yammie, marantz, pioneer et al. any takers?

The reason we McIntosh owners aren't talking about our gear is because we are keeping our mouths shut and listening to it.

Vintage McIntosh has always, and always will, stack up well against the competition providing that they are cleaned, serviced and kept in good repair.

Seems to me that if you haven't listened to any vintage or new McIntosh gear, the Joke Is Truly On You.
 
I've got a fair ammount of money "parked" in McIntosh gear.
2 fully restored MC30s.
C8
C8s
Mx110
Mr73
Mi3 scope.

I like that I can easily fix them myself, and they sound amazing.
I've gone through a lot of bottom end Japanese stuff and even some mid fi Japanese stuff. I cant really wrap my head around it when it breaks. My McIntosh tube stuff is just reliable and great to own, and as a bottom feeder I'm very lucky to have it.
I did need to stop spending money on other stuff for a while in order to do a complete rebuild on the 30s, but the fact is that if I can afford McIntosh sound, it's really Possible for anyone who prioritizes it.
As for Mac vs Japan, I've noticed a lot of gear heading over there, is there some sort of battle royale planned that I'm unaware of?
 
Japanese (and other Asian) audiophiles either never lost their enthusiasm for what is now vintage equipment, or led the way in the resurgence of interest in it - tubes in general, single ended tube amps, full range drivers, high mass tonearms, mono systems(!) and the like have been highly sought after by the Japanese, Koreans, and, more recently, Chinese audiophiles for decades.
 
Last edited:
Japanese (and other Asian) audiophiles either never lost their enthusiasm for what is now vintage equipment, or lead the way in the resurgence of interest in it - tubes in general, single ended tube amps, full range drivers, high mass tonearms, mono systems(!) and the like have been highly sought after by the Japanese, Koreans, and, more recently, Chinese audiophiles for decades.

And they had some good stuff even in the past, e.g. Luxman, Accuphase. I really liked a Line Magnetic tube integrated that I heard a few years ago but sadly even that is out of my budget; I have to console myself by vulturing semi-vintage equipment and fixing it up as I can. Fortunately I don't need any new tubes today and was able to get a quad of 7591s from Jim McShane while we were still on kind of good terms with Russia.
 
The 2000 series Macs had a warmth the Japanese electronics didn't have. It blended in with the former tube stuff quite well. But for some folks the clean clear bass of the the Japanese and Marantz ss stuff is what they wanted. That wouldn't wash with the Mac tube owners. So Mac kept their ear to the ground. The 7000 series of Mac moved its warmer sound closer to the other direction, being much quieter and having the ability to control the woofers. . Especially with the 7200 ands 7100 which were direct coupled. They were tighter in the bass yet maintained the sound of the older Mac amps of the 60's. The century series amps clearly improved with being able to get better woofer control from their amps using autoformers. By the time the MC501 came along Mac amps with autoformers easily equaled the direct coupled amps. Todays amps are for the money are the best amps out there. They may seem expensive to most of us but compared to their esoteric competitors, they are a real bargain. Compare a MC 601 to a comparable, Boulder or other foreign amp. Personally my favorite Mac amp I can't afford is the 1.2 K. So I'll stick with my two 207's and 206.
twiiii ..... You said a lot in a handful of sentences here. I especially like the bit about the 1.2KW monoblocks. We auditioned a pair of 802D3s a couple of years back and, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't take my eyes off of the pair of 1.2KWs that were driving those speakers! ... and, to those of you who think all McIntosh owners drive Bugatis to the audio stores, we drive a Cummins diesel truck and a Subaru. Quite honestly, we just love the sound that our McGear has delivered for decades now.
 
The reason we McIntosh owners aren't talking about our gear is because we are keeping our mouths shut and listening to it.

Vintage McIntosh has always, and always will, stack up well against the competition providing that they are cleaned, serviced and kept in good repair.

Seems to me that if you haven't listened to any vintage or new McIntosh gear, the Joke Is Truly On You.
Very well put, sir! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom