• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MAC1900 vs SX1250 vs KR9600 vs 2325 vs CR2020 vs?

w1jim

I can fix it but good...
Subscriber
I've been collecting larger receivers for a while now and have the opportunity to get a nice MAC1900. While it would be appropriate for those perusing this forum to be biased towards the McIntosh gear in general, how (other then the lower power) would the MAC1900 compare to the other big receivers in my stable (Pioneer SX1250, Kenwood KR9600, Marantz 2325, Yamaha CR2020)?
I listen to FM, CD and vinyl (MM cartridges) on a fairly regular basis.
All of my big rigs have been recapped and generally tweaked.
Honest opinions anyone??
JimB
 
Register to hide this ad
All I can contribute is my 1900 vs. my G-8000.

The G-8000 has a bigger, knock you through a wall kind of sound to it. Power and more power. All the while being sweet and detailed.

The 1900 has a bold relaxed sound to it. I just recently tried my 1900 with my a/d/s L880s and thought they were a better match than with the G-8000. The 1900 sounds best with somewhat brighter, more accurate speakers.

I enjoy them both. :yes:
 
I've been collecting larger receivers for a while now and have the opportunity to get a nice MAC1900. While it would be appropriate for those perusing this forum to be biased towards the McIntosh gear in general, how (other then the lower power) would the MAC1900 compare to the other big receivers in my stable (Pioneer SX1250, Kenwood KR9600, Marantz 2325, Yamaha CR2020)?
I listen to FM, CD and vinyl (MM cartridges) on a fairly regular basis.
All of my big rigs have been recapped and generally tweaked.
Honest opinions anyone??
JimB

Seems like most on your list are old enough to benefit from refurbishment / updates / recap, alignment, etc. which adds a variable to the comparison. My MAC1900 sounded much better after Terry DeWick fixed it up. So, in theory, all the above should be updated before a comparison is made otherwise, one or more may not be working up to par and so not compare as well as it deserves.
 
Thanks for the feedback.
All of my receivers have been refurbed with almost all of the electrolytic caps replaced and some of the smaller ones replaced with metal films and bipolars updated with poly caps. Also some transistors and opamps have been updated as well.

I picked up a very clean MAC 1900 yesterday with the wood case and original box. I have yet to open it up but it is apparent it needs some basic maintenance such as general cleaning, reseating the PCB', switch cleaning, deoxit/faderlube, clean up grounds, recapping, replace the tantulums with electrolytics and such.
Once I finish my current Marantz project I post some before / during / after pictures.
JimB
 
Back
Top Bottom