• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MAC3 as a basic stereo preamp

eedork

Super Member
Hey guys -

I notice that the MAC3 surround processor goes for relatively short money. I'm curious to know how well it works as a basic stereo preamp for digital sources. Obviously it has no balance, treble, or bass controls, but as a simple source selector and volume control (with remote) it might work fairly well.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Matt
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Ron -

Thanks for the response! I think the MX-130 remote would work with the MAC3, so it sounds like this could be an inexpensive option for an all digital McIntosh pre.

-Matt
 
Yes that remote will work and you need to turn the front panel remote sensor on with the rear panel switch.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
Hi Ron -

Are the DACs in the MAC3 fairly decent? I would be connecting a squeezebox classic to it (among other things) and am curious to know if the DAC in the MAC3 would be better than the DAC in the squeezebox or a typical CD player.

Thanks for your responses!

-Matt
 
Last edited:
The MAC-3 has very good sound quality. I have not used one for a while but it should be an upgrade on most servers. Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
The MAC-3 has very good sound quality. I have not used one for a while but it should be an upgrade on most servers. Let us know how it works for you.

Thanks,
Ron-C

just got the MAC to work with my power amp and pre, the result is transformational....given all my cd players are under $2-300, it is a real bargain to upgrade all your transports / players with digital output

excellent detail and bass....it has so much detail it might sound "dry" / digital without a mac pre, but it is very nice nevertheless
 
Back
Top Bottom