• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Macintosh MX 110 (first time with tubes)

kerouacknew

Active Member
Hi,
So i finally found a Mx110 to go with my Mc250. It should arrive early next week.
This would be my first experience with tubes.
The preamp has apparently been looked at by an experienced repairman in Toronto. Some resistors and capacitors replaced along with some tubes. The manual is coming with the preamp as well which i will read.

I am just looking for some do's and don't. Like i said i am new to tubes and dont really want to make any mistakes as far as running it.

Does it need to warm up before using? Do i have to check bias on the tubes? etc, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
They have around a 45 second to two minuits warmup time to full stable operation.
Turn it off if not using it, like overnight or absent for hours.
 
Excellent combination.

A couple points regarding the MX110: The MPX lamp may illuminate in non-tuner modes if not adjusted correctly. It may also illuminate when no antenna is connected, or even between stations. Hopefully you have a later model MX110 which has an MPX adjustment on the top of the chassis, just to the left of center.

Secondly, I would recommend using a power bar/controller rather than the off/on switch on the unit as these are very scarce. Also, I would recommend using the MX110's A/C outlets for low current source devices only - ie: turntable, CD player etc. I also suggest plugging the power amplifier into the controller, rather than the 110 outlets.

I've also noticed the MX110 seems a bit bass shy without loudness comp switched on. YMMV.

Otherwise it is a delicious sounding preamplifier with a built in MR67 tuner. I cannot say how much I enjoy listening to FM with the MX110.

Cheers!
 
Last edited:
All Mac pre-amps from the period have their own sound as a group. The 250 approximates the sound of the previous tube amps closely. Speakers from that period were warmer in over all presentation than speakers of today, so if you really want to hear your combo at its best, finding a pair of ML speakers, Bozak Symphonies or other New England style speakers should make you happy. West Coast speakers, EV and Klipsch not so much. I heard countless systems use with 240, 275,s , MC-30s, 40s, 60s and 75,s and they all worked very well with MX-110. Marantz and Citation systems were even drier with the Marantz being a bit more forward.

The quality of the source material was much inferior back then as compared to todays for the most part. However, recordings of special merit could be enjoyed as much then as today. The difference is the ability of todays phono cartridges and tuners to make marginal sounding recordings shine where older units were not as capable. It seems to me compromised highs above 6khz can be appreciated to day with more modern equipment when it seemed a bit congested and irritable with older equipment.. Of course truly raunchy recordings are even more so today, than previously. The fact that most speakers from the 60's had a natural roll off in the highs to create a live concert experience rather than the sound of the recording studio, most common todaY, makes for a totally different listening experience.
 
Last edited:
Great! Thanks guys. I was planning on picking up a power bar(bellmen or panamax) and using that but its great to have it confirmed.
My current speakers are Yamaha NS 690. I am going to try them first and go from there. Thanks :)
 
Great! Thanks guys. I was planning on picking up a power bar(bellmen or panamax) and using that but its great to have it confirmed.
My current speakers are Yamaha NS 690. I am going to try them first and go from there. Thanks :)
I have NS690-II in reserve, yours should do well.
 
Great! Thanks guys. I was planning on picking up a power bar(bellmen or panamax) and using that but its great to have it confirmed.
My current speakers are Yamaha NS 690. I am going to try them first and go from there. Thanks :)

While I do not know what "West Coast sound" sounds like, I have some idea of what sounds good and in that vein, I do not think you could go wrong with a classic Altec 604 8G/H, Model 17, 18, 19 or 14 - especially if you're into jazz.

I use the 14s myself with the MX110 & MC240 or MC2505 (metered version of MC250). Power amplifier choice between the two makes no appreciable difference.
 
Last edited:
So Klipsch is a no go? I have heard they sound great with Mac tubes. I was considering a set of Cornwalls in the future. I was curious about trying the horns. Hmm i will check out those other suggestions. thanks for that.
 
I have never heard a Klipsch speaker so I cannot comment but many consider Mc tube + Klipsch a match made in heaven. However, that combo usually implies the involvement of a Mc tube power amplifier, but a 250 should sound sufficiently similar to most any '60s era Mc tube amplifier as twiii says.

Some prefer 2 way over 3 way speaker designs for reasons of phase/time alignment properties said to be inherently advantageous with 2 way systems. Those of that mindset would probably find a classic Altec more appealing but as with anything else, the proof is in the hearing. :)
 
I happen to be among the group that loves the McIntosh / Klipsch combo. I have a vintage C22, MR71 and MC2505 set up and Crites modified Klipsch Forte's. I also switch in and out a Fisher SA-300-B tube beast in this system as well. I can't really say if one amp is "better" than the other, I really like them both but the 2505 just looks like it belongs together with the other Mc pieces. I guess I'll just have to keep them both.:D
 
I had a pair of the old school Heresys if that counts, sold them for Dahlquists in the mid 1970s. The Heresys were more efficient but not as natural as the DQ -10s which liked power. I like the NS-690 and they are reasonably efficient, they should be a good fit if you're not a headbanger.
 
So Klipsch is a no go? I have heard they sound great with Mac tubes. I was considering a set of Cornwalls in the future. I was curious about trying the horns. Hmm i will check out those other suggestions. thanks for that.

I use my mx110/dynaco st70 combo with klipsch kg 3.5s and it sounds very good, my main system consists of a C11 and either mc225s or an mc2105 with cornwalls which is a fantastic combo, I think you'd be very happy with cornwalls.
 
Excellent combination.

A couple points regarding the MX110: The MPX lamp may illuminate in non-tuner modes if not adjusted correctly. It may also illuminate when no antenna is connected, or even between stations. Hopefully you have a later model MX110 which has an MPX adjustment on the top of the chassis, just to the right of center.

Secondly, I would recommend using a power bar/controller rather than the off/on switch on the unit as these are very scarce. Also, I would recommend using the MX110's A/C outlets for low current source devices only - ie: turntable, CD player etc. I also suggest plugging the power amplifier into the controller, rather than the 110 outlets.

I've also noticed the MX110 seems a bit bass shy without loudness comp switched on. YMMV.

Otherwise it is a delicious sounding preamplifier with a built in MR67 tuner. I cannot say how much I enjoy listening to FM with the MX110.

Cheers!

This.
 
thanks for the advice , suggestions guys. It should be here tomorrow.
So basically just let it warm up a bit and use a power bar/conditioner to turn on and off?

Nothing else i need to know?
I can wait to hear it. I have never heard any tubes before!
 
Back
Top Bottom