• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox 185 options

fiddlerman

New Member
Hi everyone,

I'm about to acquire a console-pulled Magnavox 185. It worked last time it was hooked up, which was several years ago. The buyer is recommending that I replace all the capacitors, which I'm planning on doing.

But I'm at a crossroads. The 185 was phono-only amp attached to a turntable with a ceramic cartridge. Is it safe to assume the two RCA ins are above line-level but not up to the level that would accomodate a magnetic cartridge?

If so, is it absolutely necessary to remove this phono pre circuit? Doesn't keeping it in just make the amp "louder" than line level?

Silly newbie question, I confess that my knowledge of electronics is next to nothing.

I've read a lot about people removing the phono circuit to convert the 185 into a 175. What I'm asking is whether this is actually necessary. Is there a good reason for this? Would keeping the phono circuit intact raise the noise floor of the amp?

Has anyone here hooked up a line-level device, such as a preamp, through an 185 phono circuit as it stands?

I'm planning to use an external pre-amp selector to run this amp.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The 185 has an extra gain stage that the 175 does not have. Its probably too much gain to be really useful without a fair bit of work though. Me I might set it up as a cathode follower so you can stick a volume control and a source selector in there without the frequency response changing with volume position. if you do need more gain, maybe change the 7025/12ax7 to a much lower gain tube like a 12au7 or 6cg7.
 
Some have just changed the 185 into a 175. It isn't much work, but I like Gadget's idea better. If you do a search here on AK for the Magnavox 185 and 175 you will find plenty of threads to read through. I had a couple 175's.
The 185's and 175's do sound pretty good once sorted out.
 
Me I might set it up as a cathode follower so you can stick a volume control and a source selector in there without the frequency response changing with volume position.
^^^ this.
I followed this recommendation and it turned out well.
 
Back
Top Bottom