• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox console remote

coffee123

Well-Known Member
The resto is in another thread, this is sorta different. While cleaning my 59' Imperial Provincial Maggie console in the midst of an amp rebuild, I was cleaning the sticky off all the wiring to the speakers and speaker switch, etc. There is a panel in the rear that seems to be a panel for remote control access. Wired remote, there is a cut off harness of small guage twisted wire solderd to it. Im not sure what the deal is with it. It goes inline with the audio input to the amp from the preamp, and its got a 120v tap also, its connected to the relay on the auto turntable. Not that id ever use this with a remote, but i am curious as to the nature of said remote? any info on it or other maggie accessories like this?

Mark
 
Register to hide this ad
My ex-64 (the amp died a horrible death!) had one of those. It was an air pump affair with two whistle like doo-dads that had different frequencies. One frequency was for turning the Volume up and Down in steps(3 and off), and the other was for Auto Tune. I still have the box, wiring, and the remote from mine. It's a different unit from a Tube console as mine is for Solid State.

The output came out of the tuner/preamp, thru the box, and then went to the amp.

Larry
 
I have remotes but I think they are for tv, thought they were interesting the very first remote, and they didn't even use batteries!

27xgsb9.jpg
 
Thats not the first remote. The first wireless remote harkens back to 1939, the Philco Mystery Control. It used a battery and a vacuum tube. I have the radio one goes to, but my control's case is completely shot, and the internals are sketchy at best.
 
Thats not the first remote. The first wireless remote harkens back to 1939, the Philco Mystery Control. It used a battery and a vacuum tube. I have the radio one goes to, but my control's case is completely shot, and the internals are sketchy at best.

Oh that right I forgot about the mystery control, I think these were the first tv remotes :scratch2: or the first to use sound waves...I know the were the first of something. Remember reading about the somewhere.
 
I think I know how it was set up....very simple, the remote panel was hooked up to a solonoid on the turntable to reject a record when its energized, and the output from the preamp is hooked to the panel also...then from the panel its got seperate leads that goto the amp, prolly for external volume control

Mark
 
Back
Top Bottom