• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox Console

Greg86z28

Well-Known Member
So after the Denver meet yesterday I started looking into getting my first little tube unit.

I found this on craigslist:

It's a 1965 Magnavox Astro-Sonic Console
http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3289688929.html

EDIT: I don't think it's a tube amp at all!

Is this the type of thing I should be looking for? What are some of the desirable models?

Ok thanks.

Greg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
You are correct that 'Astro-Sonic' = 'solid state'.

Magnavox units just a wee bit older have some relatively nice tube amps in them. Many discussions about this (without the CL link) are to be found in the Tubes forum.

If that were a tube unit at that price it might be a good deal. For questions regarding what's worth what there are many threads that get opened about potential console values down in the Dollars and Sense forum.
 
Hi Greg. Nice meeting you at the get together yesterday.

As cubby01 said, this is probably not a piece to buy. PM me for some info on what to look for and what you might expect to pay for a tube console.

John
 
Last edited:
Ah, one of the ugly duckling models. I just can't get into the chunky repwood front consoles or the mid 70s ugly styles. I know they made some Astro-Sonics with nice styling but a lot of them were just blech. They actually don't sound that bad to be honest, but unless you're after a console specifically, I wouldn't bother.
 
yea some of the Maggies and others had quite nice cabinets and some were overdone if you will .That one looks like a dresser or credenza
 
Back
Top Bottom