• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox Dilemma

hifiqs

Member
I found a mid-size "Magnificent Magnavox" console (Model #1SR295H) that I bought for $20 for the amp/pre-amp/tuner (Amp is stamped, I think, 182-11) and large (15") Magnavox speaker. I have no need for the BSR TT. It's a nice console though - I feel guilty gutting it for it's parts. :scratch2:

Anybody out there ever have any qualms about cutting 'em up?
 
Register to hide this ad
If the changer is indeed a BSR, it ain't original. The original would've been a Collaro.
... if that makes you feel any better...
 
mrh:

The TT also is marked Magnavox. From a later console? Yeah, that does make me feel better.

Thanks.
 
i'm sure some of you out there will want to throw rocks at me for saying this, but i think taking those amp units out of those dingy looking smelly consoles, with God knows what micro organisms and pests might be living inside, is the only way i'd go about utilizing the components. seeing those metal chassis with glowing tubes please my eyes more than seeing those brown dingy consoles no matter what condition they're in.:yes:
 
Old crappy beaten up consoles aren't worth storing. At least if you pull the guts you'll keep the good bits out of a landfill. I don't feel the same way about higher end Euro or Ampex consoles though. The turntables aren't worth anything but nostalgia even in the good ones normally.
 
It's your's , you can do with it what you want. The 295 series was a rather pedestrian set and there were many built, Lord knows we can't save them all. Now it does cause me a bit of heartache when I see a really pristine Magnavox Concert Grand or Imperial Series broken up for the components, those things were rare when they were built and the cabinetry alone would be impossible to reproduce today for many many bucks. Kinda like pulling the motor out of a Malibu Super Sport to use in a homemade tractor and crushing the rest.

BTW the turntable in your set will probably be labled Magnavox, but it was built by Collaro, sometime in the 60's Magnavox bought Collaro. Don't throw it away those things seem to bring fairly good money on ebay and I keep a stock of them I use for parts for Mag's I'm restoring.
 
Back
Top Bottom