• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnavox Potentiometer for console stereo

duckland 23

Active Member
Hi Guys I have a 1965 magnavox console stereo with a bad volume potentiometer . I have cleaned it and cleaned it many times and alway the noise will come back . I know the volume control is no longer made . But Im betting that I can use a newer control of the same style and rating . I see mouser electronics has many of them , but it a wierd thing . So the specks are on the schematic said 10k double stacked and and Tap@1000&5000 thats for the two of them . I would like to replace the volume control in her . Also magnavox has some wierd style cap under the volume control . I have part numbers from magnavox for the Potentiometer and the cap too . Ok this waht magnavox is calling the cap ,Loudness compenation network . Part # 28040-1 . The Part number for the control is 220163-21 for magnavox part . Also the control is listed under Mallory part number FA14DT53,RU14DT53.CS3500 . Thats from my schematic I have from magnavox .

But the main consern is the tap @1000&5000 . I found a control for double stack and its from cts and is also 10k . So thats where Im at .
 
Register to hide this ad
Might not be the control!

In most tone and volume control circuits there is NO DC Voltages present on the control.:no:

If your control has ANY DC present, there may be one or more bad capacitors in the circuit, and ANY control that has DC Voltages present on it, it WILL be noisy and cleaning will NOT fix it.:nono:

Yes, the control may be shot, but don't overlook this possibility of leaky caps.:scratch2:

Mark T.:music:
 
Yes I no the volume control is bad . I should check for a bad cap in the trace . I cleaned the control many times and the noise will always come back after time . By the way you can feel the wear in the volume potentmeter anyway .well Most of the caps I can get but the one under the volume control is speical anyway and no longer availible from magnavox . so theres that too .
 
I'm having the same problem with the volume control on the Magnavox console I just picked up. Tried cleaning it, but to no avail. I'll try digging into it this weekend. Looking forward to seeing if you find a fix for it...
 
Back
Top Bottom