• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Magnepan MMG no volume

jelly_bean

Active Member
Greetings everyone,

About 4 months ago, I decided to build some new frames for my Magnepan MMGs (circa 2012 model) to help the "performance", up the WAF, and just to have a good father/son wood working project with my dad. I specifically followed the guidance of Mr. Gunn who was especially helpful in providing his instruction and crossover schematics.

We finally finished the frames yesterday and transferred the panels from the original MDF into the new wood frames. They look marvelous! I decided to leave the original crossovers connected since I'm still waiting for my new parts to come in. Plus I hadn't heard them in 4 months so I was excited to give them a listen. you know how that goes.

This is my problem: I hooked everything up (with the same gear I have used before with no problems), and there is no listenable volume until I turn the volume control past halfway. Half volume on my system before the frames would blow the house over. When the volume is turned all the way up, the volume is still very low, and voices sound like someone put their hand over their mouth. No volume and horribly muddy. Something is definitely wrong here.

I checked and triple checked all connections, made sure the crossovers all had good contact with nothing missing or broken (they were never disconnected from the panel). I also checked the polarity several times.

also, both speakers make the same amount of sound so one is not louder than the other. We were extremely careful when transferring the panels into their new frames and they were not out of the mdf frames for more than a few minutes. This leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the speaker panels themselves. I did connect another pair of speakers and the volume and sound was fine.

Any ideas as to what might have happened or any ideas on how to correct this problem? I've tried to narrow things down as much as possible, but I have run out of ideas and searching all last night didn't amount to much.

Many thanks in advance,:thmbsp:

Chris
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Two things to check:

1. Fuses on the MMG
2. Check the connections from the crossover to the panels themselves. I think there are four wires per speaker that

If the only thing you did to check with other speakers was to unplug from the MMG and plug into the alternate speakers, then I'd agree you've got an issue in the speaker.
 
Dumb question, but your receiver/amp doesn't have one of those 20 db partial muting switches does it?
 
Can't be fuses can it, if there is sound coming out but just at low volume?

Don't know about MMG's, but on my 1.6's I believe the fuse only protects the tweeter section. Was thinking about anything in the signal path from the speaker connection to the mylar panel.
 
Hey guys. Thanks for the responses so far!

I have checked the fuses on both speakers, all is ok there. The 4 wires from the crossover are also attached with no breaks. Even tried cleaning them up.

As far as my amp having a muting switch, I don't think so. It's a Class D Audio SDS 470 with 600w/channel at 4ohms. I will check it over again, but I've spent a lot of time in the back of it plugging and unplugging. :).

I want to say it's the speakers, but sound equally bad. Any problems I've had before it was only one side giving me problems. they sounded fine when I pulled them from the system too. stereo image is there, but low volume and muddy as can be. There's no VISIBLE damage to the drivers either

It's almost as frustrating as tracking down a ground loop hum a few years back. ALMOST.

Thanks again. We'll get it figured out.
 
quick update:

I pulled the RCA cables out of my DAC, so they were sitting there still connected to the amp. when I turned the amp back on and touched the lead with my fingers the buzz came through the speakers and was quite loud. Much louder than the music volume and the sound was a very "clear" buzz. As silly as that sounds there was no muffled or held back "fuzz" to it. It came through nice and clean like it should if everything were functioning properly.

This is now leading me to believe it isn't the speakers. It's also leading me to believe that I am going crazy and will be up for another long night tracking things down.
 
Yeah, as labor intensive as it might be, its time to assume nothing and check everything. Good luck!
 
I got it!!!!!

Stupid me was staring at the back panel before work this morning and realized that I didn't put the attenuator plugs back in. I can't believe I missed that after spending so much time "examining".

Anyway, all is well and they sound beautiful. Thanks again!

I hope I'm not the only one to make silly mistakes like this. :)
 
Thanks! There was a huge sigh of relief and I let out a squeal of excitement when I heard them sound right. My poor Dad has thought for the last two days that he killed the speakers when he built the frames.

Will get photos up when I get home from work. I only had about 20 minutes to listen to them before I left for work. I'm anxious to get back home.
 
Oh, so you basically had an open circuit there. Well that explains it. I'm sure you gave yourself a dope slap over that one. Don't feel bad, everyone does it sometime... :D
 
Back
Top Bottom