• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnepan MMG-W's

1ontop=

Active Member
I have a pair of 1976 Advent OLA's (black fried egg tweeter) that are absolutely gorgeous looking .. have been refoamed and recapped recently. The thing is they just don't do it for me sound wise. I have read about Magnepan speakers and that is the kind of sound I'd like to hear, however living in a small apt that is not a good fit. My question is, would it be a good idea to purchase MMG-W's for their presence and use the Advent's
(in conjunction with) for their fabulous lower frequencies?

Magnepan currently has a deal for a pair of MMG-W's for $330 delivered with 60 trial / return option.
 
Register to hide this ad
You'll experience a big problem blending both types of speakers together to create one coherent sound. Magnepan has bass panels to match up with them, check those out first. :)
 
I have both Advents (OLA's) and several different Magneplanars but not the MMG-W's ( went from OLA's to Magneplanar MGI originally) and It's a vastly different sound but I think it's worth a try. It may be helpful if you disconnect the OLA's tweeter and basically use them as a bass enhancer. I see the MMG-W's cut off at 100 HZ so this may actually work if you are able to place the Advents so you don't get the direct sound from them.
 
You will need an inexpensive 2 way electronic crossover to make this work. Advents actually make decent subs, 100Hz is a bit high, but it could sound pretty nice IMO if you spend some time tweaking it.
 
Back
Top Bottom