• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnovox amp 175-67 with a sub amp? 7002-00

Sounds like you are getting a bit punch drunk....me to. Time for bed.

Anyway basically you are missing a wire on that front connector.
You have a black one there...but the other screw doesn't have a wire connected to it.

Once you find the wire that is disconnected and reconnect it....I think both channels will work.

index.jpg
 
Or a wire goes from the Speaker Selector rotary switch to that missing wire location.....
Now that would make sense .. there's not one from the switch..
But also could it be a bad resistor in the crossover since there's slight sound and I mean ear to speaker cranked to 11 slight sound lol
 
The basic problem...is you only have one wire connected and you need 2.

These 175 amps.....have weird speaker connections..

Cademan and I thought that both channels would be connected via a Molex Plug....but now that you have posted a pic with a black wire connected to that front connection circled in GREEN.....then that says to me, that is one of your speaker channel amp connections.

So...you are missing a wire there. That is the problem.
 
"where would you connect it?"

Just as a test. One end would be connected to the screw circled in green that is next to the black wire. The other end you could just connect to the speaker itself...as a test.
Or figure out where it connects to the crossover...also as a test.

The Black wire is the "common" speaker wire...also called the Ground wire. (most likely)

The wire that carries the sound signal is missing....

Both channels will have a black ground wire.

But the signal wire will be different colors, probably for each channel.
 
If that's the problem I'm very puzzled the speaker that works isn't connected to the connection in green but the one that doesn't work is lol

ok, the speaker connections on the magnavox 175 are weird.

Usually there is one at the back of the amp for 1 channel and one at the front (circled in green) for the other channel. The one at the back is a white plastic Molex and the one at the front is an old style 2 screw thing....

That connection in front is only for one channel and needs 2 wires connected to it to make the speaker work...

So....you posted that the black wire from the front connector IS connected to the bad side speaker.


There has to be another wire.....either from the crossover or the selector switch that goes back to the other screw on the front connection screw, right next to the black wire screwed there....
 
Last edited:
It looks like this is 2 crossovers on one board....

The part circled in Green.....I think is for your Good Speaker.

The part that is not circled is the problem speaker.

See if you can trace the wires from the problem side and see where they go.

crossover 1.jpg
 
Last edited:
OR.....

You said the Black Wire from the front connection goes to the bad Speaker.

I assume you mean the biggest speaker...if you have 2 or 3 speakers on each channel.

So, if that Black wire goes to the big speaker.....(the woofer)

Is there another wire connected to the big speaker? And where does it go?

What color is it?

It should go to the crossover i think....and from there ? Where does it go?
 
Last edited:
In the AMP 175 series of amps, they have the common speaker connections towards the rear whether molex or lugs, and the left speaker terminal screws next to the capacitor on the chassis. My AMP 175-67 actually has the terminal lugs labeled as C, 1, and 2. Plus, it also has the screw terminal for speaker #2 which is used for the left channel speaker in separate cabinet models.

Josh's amp 175-67 uses the molex connectors whereas mine uses the the lugs or spades. I don't believe that there is a wire attached to the left speaker screws. As said before, those screw terminals are used when the 175 amp is used in those separate consoles.

Josh, are both speakers connected? One black wire and one green wire on both right and left speakers? Any black wires are all ground wires and are connected to the chassis as ground. This is why you might see one black wire someplace and no black wire in other places you think they should be.

Wires won't come disconnected by themselves unless it was jarred real hard or dropped, or the previous owner touched something, But all in all, your best bet would be to have someone else have a look at it because it's hard to help over the internet, but I could have that diagnosed in 5 minutes. I do these in my sleep! :D

Its either a component in in the amp or the receiver and its tough to try to nail it down especially if you are a novice at these things. What state are you in? Maybe someone here is close to you and can come to help you out.

If you're getting scratching sounds from the bad channel, that is a good sign (at least to me anyway) that its nothing major. I don't think the speakers are blown, but you can always take a 1 1/2 volt battery and touch it both speakers just to make sure none are blown. Touch the battery to the big speakers (woofers) only.

There is a 12AX7 (or 6EU7) tube up in the radio receiver. This could also be a contribution to your problems. If you can and real carefully when it is on, rock the tube gently in its socket.

Also, and this is rare but has happened, one side of the inside of the 12AX7/6EU7 tube could be burned out. In other words, when the amp is powered up, if you look at the 12AX7 tubes in the amp itself, you will see what looks like two sticks inside the tubes that are glowing. These are called the tube's heaters. Sometimes one of those burns out but the other half is still lit. Just something to check.

I know you are trying to good, and you are doing good for what you know, but it does get a little bit frustrating if someone is not there in person to help. By the time we get done here, You will have learned a whole bunch! :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Illinois and I have found a tech in belville closest person to me just worried about price and quality of work
I never did check the tubes on the preamp they all are in metal cases harder to get to and see without taking it apart
 
Hi Cademan,

When Josh pointed out there was a black wire connected to the speaker taps up front.....I assumed that the other wire had to be there... and that could have been his problem. I got a bit worked up about it. He says that black wire does go to the woofer. But there doesn't seem to be another wire there...? As you say above....could just have been a ground? And wires just don't go missing...
I just don't see how the Molex would have been used for both channels....then a stray ground wire added to the front speaker taps...seems strange.

Interesting that now he says a faint bit of sound out of the silent Channel....

Perhaps you are right and its the 12AX7 tube half gone...

Maybe I scared him off...? LOL I just wanted to help...
 
Hi Cademan,

When Josh pointed out there was a black wire connected to the speaker taps up front.....I assumed that the other wire had to be there... and that could have been his problem. I got a bit worked up about it. He says that black wire does go to the woofer. But there doesn't seem to be another wire there...? As you say above....could just have been a ground? And wires just don't go missing...
I just don't see how the Molex would have been used for both channels....then a stray ground wire added to the front speaker taps...seems strange.

Interesting that now he says a faint bit of sound out of the silent Channel....

Perhaps you are right and its the 12AX7 tube half gone...

Maybe I scared him off...? LOL I just wanted to help...
Your all good Leland I fell asleep lol
 
I'm just so over whelmed with all the information update on things I have tried
Green black wire from radio tuner/pre amp switched on amp then switched back both ways only sound out of left side
Flipped the switch from console e to rem ster console d caused slight static out of right speaker if I switch it back to console nothing
Makes me go back to thinking there is an issue in switch but dont know how to acess wires well
All the tubes on the amp I rotated no change

I know there has to be something I'm over looking
 
Back
Top Bottom