• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Make me an offer...

No price is annoying. But....

The more I deal with buying and selling the more I discovered there are WAYYY more difference of opinion, experience, knowledge so on...
And folks I pegged for one thing or another ended up proving me wrong for better and worse.

A best offer ad I came upon ended up with me buying a computer part for $40 and over the next year ended up buying thousands more
of gear from him. Never saw that coming.

Overall most, not all, have a rough idea of somethings worth. And thats where the low ball offers, for what ever reason, go no where and
IME are most often fishing. Ebay isnt the be all end all. But it sure gives a ROUGH idea on an average with give and take. Thats no secret
to most I image.

I personally think all the various SCORE threads here and elsewhere created a mentality in some that it should be the hold out for em.
Ive met the type LOL.

Ive been happy and successful buying and selling locally for around 30-40% give or take under the average ebay sales for what Im both
buying and selling. I dont assume stupidity on either part till proven otherwise. That mentality seems to work well.

And if I stumble on a SCORE. Lucky me.
 
I still dont get why people get so pissed off when they offer lowball offer and it gets refused,just dont play
Here’s an example. Add says make an offer for say a pair of sneakers. I usually insist they throw a price for a specific reason. I don’t necessarily want to low ball them. I like to be fair. I offer what I think is a fair price to me and he gets offended because he doesn’t like my price and wants blank for it. Now my time is wasted. I’m just saying it’s easier if they put a clear number and the transaction would be much easier.
 
I still dont get why people get so pissed off when they offer lowball offer and it gets refused,just dont play
So if puts a price for 50$ and I say 40$, we will most likely agree on a price and be a quick and smooth transaction. He says make an offer, and to me the sneakers are worth 40$, but in reality wants 100$ for them. Now I offer him the 40$ and he’s all mad at me. So if the price of a 100$ was clear, I would not even attempt to offer because it would be a waste of time. It just saves just a lot of time. My whole pet peeve about this is that people get all mad and waste probably 10 minutes of my time. Just sets me off the wrong way, when sellers get pissed and they say make an offer and I offer and they get mad. It’s like, just throw me a number pleaser. Also the trend of a bidding war is unsettling and honestly annoying.
 
I’m just saying it’s easier if they put a clear number and the transaction would be much easier.

Not picking on you directly, your post is a good one to ask. And I also don’t get people that get pissed at lowballs :confused:

Why is one way better than the other? Did you do your due diligence as a buyer to make the fair offer you thought you where making? Just playing devils advocate ;)

Buying and selling used crap has probably always worked this way. Is what it is, either play or don’t.
:beerchug:
 
Not picking on you directly, your post is a good one to ask. And I also don’t get people that get pissed at lowballs :confused:

Why is one way better than the other? Did you do your due diligence as a buyer to make the fair offer you thought you where making? Just playing devils advocate ;)

Buying and selling used crap has probably always worked this way. Is what it is, either play or don’t.
:beerchug:
I guess I’m one of those guys that feel like it’s the sellers job to do their research. But I agree with you.
 
I was trying to think back.... and in 67 years I cannot remember a single time of responding to a "make offer" ad ever had a positive result.

Personally, I find it lazy on the part of the seller. YOU wanna' sell the item, YOU do the homework to determine value. Don't waste everyone else's time. That, and as mentioned in the OP these are often people who want to set up their own personal little auction. Your stuff , your rules I suppose. I just choose not to participate.
And of course the old " make offer , but don't lowball me". Well, since you didn't post a price leaving me no idea whatsoever what you think is reasonable.... SMH.....

Just bad business and yes we've all dealt with this **** at one point or another.
You just summed up my thoughts in one post. Thank you. Totally and 100% agree with your philosophy.
 
The one thing that has the best impact for me when someone lowballs me is ummm no. I would expect same if i lowballed someone.

:beerchug:
 
I really don't like the 'if you're looking at this ad, you know what it's worth' ads and think that the seller should set the price. The seller has the option to accept or reject offers. In a 'make offer' situation, the seller needs to provide lots of information (and photos) on condition, functionality, etc. so a potential buyer can make an educated offer. Without information on factors that effect value, those kind of ads are often a waste of time IMHO.
 
I really don't like the 'if you're looking at this ad, you know what it's worth' ads and think that the seller should set the price. The seller has the option to accept or reject offers. In a 'make offer' situation, the seller needs to provide lots of information (and photos) on condition, functionality, etc. so a potential buyer can make an educated offer. Without information on factors that effect value, those kind of ads are often a waste of time IMHO.

Agreed. Which leads me to a related point. I'll use a "car for sale" example but there are certainly others.

When purchasing a car most people want to know, at a minimum: Make, model, year, mileage, details about which engine and trans, color, photos , location, and price. In almost every case the less of these things that are included in the ad, the worse the deal being offered. People who are offering something nice at a fair (or better) price are more than happy to show you what they have and tell you what they want for it. The ones that are cryptic or force you to ask offline for more information are (in my experience) usuially hiding something, or junk, or overpriced.
 
Agreed. Which leads me to a related point. I'll use a "car for sale" example but there are certainly others.

When purchasing a car most people want to know, at a minimum: Make, model, year, mileage, details about which engine and trans, color, photos , location, and price. In almost every case the less of these things that are included in the ad, the worse the deal being offered. People who are offering something nice at a fair (or better) price are more than happy to show you what they have and tell you what they want for it. The ones that are cryptic or force you to ask offline for more information are (in my experience) usuially hiding something, or junk, or overpriced.

Couldnt agree more.

Also with these types of ads, and they encompass SOOOO much else, easier to say what doesnt (a fresh carrot?), is why any
seller would care to be bothered by the endless questions such an ad generates.

Yup a no effort ad should have a no brainier price with little to no risk. Or the seller simply did too much duster as a teen to kill time LOL.

I can understand the OBO model. I know Ive encountered ENDLESS "buyers" who agree, set a time then disappear like
a black friday $80 TV LOL. Which is what I suspect their expectation is in reality.

Its why I bet OBO sellers simply look at it as cut the BS and lets see what comes in. But there better be a professional looking ad
to accompany it. Maybe not a max profit model but a least horse **** one finding a buyer????

When no info is given... wow...
 
To each his own.......

Is the offer approach a way take a non auction platform and turn it into an "auction"? Smart if it works out for sellers and potentially nets them a higher selling price. How about this:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/754868525288918 What are the chances that those who dont have the highest bid feel like they were shorted and the person who "wins" feels like they paid to much? Or highest "bidder" bails and item is "relisted"

To me its people (me included) figuring out how to "ebayify" other platforms.

Back to the topic at hand......will on occasion bite and shoot someone an offer. With that offer I typically mention that I have no idea what they "want" for it and if my offer is offensive my apologies. I do let them know if/when they want to accept my offer that I would be happy to purchase. Now, tomorrow or a week from now. Kind of like max bid on an auction site. Enter it and don;t look again until its over. ;
If they reply fine. If not fine. If its nasty..... delete. Their item their choice. My money my choice

Emotions -vs- Business decision.
 
To each his own.......

Is the offer approach a way take a non auction platform and turn it into an "auction"? Smart if it works out for sellers and potentially nets them a higher selling price. How about this:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/754868525288918 What are the chances that those who dont have the highest bid feel like they were shorted and the person who "wins" feels like they paid to much? Or highest "bidder" bails and item is "relisted"

To me its people (me included) figuring out how to "ebayify" other platforms.

Back to the topic at hand......will on occasion bite and shoot someone an offer. With that offer I typically mention that I have no idea what they "want" for it and if my offer is offensive my apologies. I do let them know if/when they want to accept my offer that I would be happy to purchase. Now, tomorrow or a week from now. Kind of like max bid on an auction site. Enter it and don;t look again until its over. ;
If they reply fine. If not fine. If its nasty..... delete. Their item their choice. My money my choice

Emotions -vs- Business decision.

Id be too tempted to screw with him. Win then say, HEY I know this guy, he NEVER put that offer in?!?

Again IMO OBO doesnt seem like a max profit way of doing things. If it gets used that way I see ALLOT
of room for screwing around chasing folks and finding out the hard way if they are really serious.

FBM isnt Sotheby's Auction LOL.
 
With you PP
Price with "OBO" lets buyer know that your reasonable and negotiable. IF buyer makes a reasonable offer to start usually ends in a sale and both parties happy.?
 
Back
Top Bottom