• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Making a tonearm cable

sloober

Super Member
I want to make new tonearm cables for my Mission TT. I have some great braided silver coax cable, and can easily find the RCA jacks, but the problem seems to be finding a DIN plug that is right angle. Does anyone have an idea where I can find one?
Thanks, John
 
Register to hide this ad
Before you even get to the right angle aspect, make sure you know exactly what configuration you need. I assume it's 5 pins? There are several spacial orientations of the pins. Make sure you get the one you need. Try places like allelectronics.com, digi-key.com, markertek, mouser.com.
 
Connector

Yes it is a 5 pin connector. Darn there are several different types. Here is a photo of the connector. I may just leave it as is or cut it and make an adapter to RCA jacks mounted on the chassis. Then at least I can use higher quality cables from there.
John
 

Attachments

  • phonodin.jpg
    phonodin.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 46
Yes it is a 5 pin connector. Darn there are several different types. Here is a photo of the connector. I may just leave it as is or cut it and make an adapter to RCA jacks mounted on the chassis. Then at least I can use higher quality cables from there.
John
Well that's a common arrangement, sometimes known as 240 meaning that they're in a 240 degree arc. The other common arrangements are 180 and a full circle, so if they provide a picture you'll know right away if it's the right one. Is there a reason you need a right angle?
 
I think many people make those 90 degrees right angle tonearm plugs, for example, Cardas, Van Den Hul, Clear Audio and SME. The 5 pin tonearm connector is not a standard din plug, as far as I know.
 
Plug photos

Right angle because there is not much depth to the turntable. The cable I have is right angle and there is about 3/4 inch clearance between the plug and whatever the TT is sitting on. Also the cable routes out an opening at the rear of the TT. Hope these photos show what I am talking about. I may just have to leave well enough alone. Just thought it would be nice to make some new cables.
John
 

Attachments

  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 31
  • plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 42
The 5 pin tonearm plugs have 60 degree spacing but only 30 degree spacing with the pins of the normal din plugs.
 
Back
Top Bottom