• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Manual or information for Fisher DS-826 Speakers?

fairlycrass

New Member
Does anyone have the original manual, or have specifics on the drivers in these speakers? I am trying to get my dad's old speakers back into shape. These came with a rack system he bought in the mid-80's. Woofers are in good shape, and still sound great, but the tweeters and midrange drivers were blown (over voltage at some point, and apparently melted the coating on the coil!). I am interested in buying some tweeters and midranges to get the speakers working again, but don't know the specs of these drivers, other than the following:

Tweeters: 4 ohm, 3 inch
Midrange: 4 ohm, 5 inch

If anyone has the original manuals, or any other information on these drivers, or suggestions for replacements, I'd be grateful!
 

Attachments

  • P1110635.JPG
    P1110635.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
When in a similar situation, I have created a search on that auction site for specific drivers. Right now there is a single tweeter that matches what you are looking for. There is also a pair of these speakers for local pick-up. Perhaps if they don't sell, the owner might be persuaded to part them out and sell the individual drivers. I have no affiliation with either listing. It's great that you are taking the time and interest to restore your dads speakers. Please give consideration to changing out the capacitors in the crossover as they would have been exposed to the same circumstances that damaged the drivers.

Welcome to AK.
 
Thanks for the input! I assume that by "that auction site" you mean the one that has everything, and starts with an "e"?

I did send a message to the person who has the DS-826 set posted, asking about parting those speakers out. No response, yet. I'm a little hesitate to buy them a driver at a time (as in the case with that single tweeter), in case I'm not able to find replacements for the others.

Also, I did recap the speakers with some fairly high quality caps, thinking that could be the issue, initially. If I wind up having to go with other (new) drivers, of course, that will be wasted time and money, most likely, since the crossover network would probably have to be rebuilt, unless I can find some with very similar specs. Where else could I look for new drivers? I've tried PartsExpress, and a few others, and couldn't find any that were 4 ohm, the correct sizes, and at least 100W. The crossover frequencies are 1.5 amd 6 kHz.
 
Last edited:
As well as matching ohms and what will fit, you'll want to match the sensitivity(SPL) of the replacements to the originals. If you're not able to find original replacements, it does get complicated modifying crossovers to match different drivers with no guarantee of success. I'd be less concerned about matching the 100W handling requirement since they shouldn't see that much power under normal operating conditions.

There are any number of driver vendors on that site but none that I've used. Originals would still be best solution, but as you mentioned finding them 1 at a time gets expensive. Set up and save some searches and you might find someone parting out a pair of these because they have cabs that are beyond repair. Perhaps the seller you contacted will agree to part out their speakers. I've had success with both approaches but it can take some time. Hang in there and don't loose faith if it doesn't happen right away.
 
I appreciate it! I did get a response from the seller today, and he said that he might be willing to pull the drivers out to sell separately. We'll see what happens. Saving a search or two sounds like a good idea. So, while I'm waiting for something to turn up, I kind of need to get these out of the house. Is there any problem with storing them in the garage? I live in Wyoming, and we sometimes get -20° nights, but it's a really dry climate.
 
I wouldn't think that would be a problem. I would venture a guess that some AKers have garage speakers that have survived similar conditions. You could consider wrapping in heavy duty garbage bags for some protection. Maybe some AKers in your area will weigh in.
 
There are two replacement tweeters on the site now. But 19.99 each, plus 3 bucks shipping. Dang. Mids haven't turned up, but I have a search saved. Thanks again for your input!
 
Back
Top Bottom