• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 10b

I've separated mine and cleaned them carefully, staying away from anything important, dry q-tips.
 
I've separated mine and cleaned them carefully, staying away from anything important, dry q-tips.
Just wondering how you separated the 2 pieces of glass? I was afraid of cracking one of the pains. Working between the two prevented me from being able to put any pressure on the dust/glass.
Also, is there a trick to diffusing the panel light? The light comes in from the ends and if I remember correctly there was some paint that blocks/diffuses the light. Too much light is getting through which sort of washes out the scope. Thanks for the help.
 
I don't remember, it's been 20 years, I don't believe I did anything about the lights or the ends. I did have a silkscreen made to put the "tune to center" back on the dial,
 
I don't remember, it's been 20 years, I don't believe I did anything about the lights or the ends. I did have a silkscreen made to put the "tune to center" back on the dial,
Edge lighting is supposed to illuminate anything applied to the glass as decalomania, the edge coating is a diffusing color filter. It also illuminates the schmutz that accumulates on the glass. Cleaning the schmutz is risky to the applied markings.
 
John,
Congratulations on finding a 10B. I have always been in awe of these tuners. A thing of beauty and the incredible build quality. Can't imagine how much it would cost to manufacture in today's world using point-to-point wiring and American labor! I really enjoy mine,Serial Number 3326 from 1965. I bought it from the original owner.The only issue is that the muting doesn't work. I plan on trying to build my own opto-couplers one day.

What is the serial number your 10B? The belief among Marantz collectors is that production ended somewhere around SN 5500.

David

014.JPG
 
Last edited:
John,
Congratulations on finding a 10B. I have always been in awe of these tuners. A thing of beauty and the incredible build quality. Can't imagine how much it would cost to manufacture in today's world using point-to-point wiring and American labor! I really enjoy mine,Serial Number 3326 from 1965. I bought it from the original owner.The only issue is that the muting doesn't work. I plan on trying to build my own opti-couplers one day.

What is the serial number your 10B? The belief among Marantz collectors is that production ended somewhere around SN 5500.

David

View attachment 2159097

Hi David. The SN is 4554. It also has the Woodside address on the plate so, closer to the end of the line.
Luckily, my optocouplers were fine (knock on wood) and all the tubes are original and working. It’s made me fall in love with radio again, something I’d given up on. Listen to it every night making/eating dinner. I’m lucky to be in an area with plenty of decent stations to listen too. At some point I’ll upgrade my dipole antenna to something on the roof. It’s been a nice addition/distraction with everything going on this past year.
 
Hello everyone, a newbie (for here that is)

When I was a teen I used to frequent independent electronics stores, one was called Ball Electronics in Anaheim, Calif. One day I went there, and to my amazement saw a 10b for the first time. I was speechless, and the counter guy seeing that, said "Touch that and your dead" I never forgot it.

About 1980 I was at a local swapmeet, and I always looked for and at audio equipment. I saw a huge pile of mostly stuff I wouldn't look at twice, when I spotted a nice looking tuner with no meters. At first it didn't make sense, but then I saw the scope tube, and my heart started beating hard. I tried to be casual as I asked him how much? He replied $25. Nonetheless I bought it. Since then I've replaced all of the opto couplers and the scope tube, (A pain in the ass) and had minor repairs done by Mike Zuccaro in San Diego. I really enjoy listening to the local PBS station now. Oh, and mine came with the optional wood cabinet to make the $25 even better.
 
The scope tube is really easy to change, it is held by two rubber mounts on a couple of supports on the chassis. To replace it you simply remove the front panel hood, the rubber mounts and unplug it from the socket. There is a sleeve that goes around the scope tube body that needs to be transferred to the new tube.

The optocouplers are bit more challenging but can be done with careful desoldering. Luckily all the optocouplers are working perfectly on my Marantz Model 10 after nearly 60 years!
 
Last edited:
Crooner, I made the mistake of making it seem the scope tube is difficult to replace, and like you said, that isn't so. I think it took me 5 minutes max.

Optocouplers, are a different thing. Hours being very careful to replace all 3 is more like it.
 
Back
Top Bottom