• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 1152DC amp vs 2275 receiver

sssboa

Super Member
Hi

I wonder how 70s Marantz amps compare sonically to receivers, especially 1152DC model that is 75W I think comparing to 2275 of the same wattage. Or generally Marantz's 70s amps vs receivers.

Thx
Andy
 
Register to hide this ad
I've never heard a 2275 but I mention that the 1152dc is direct coupled and has a massive amplifier module with twice the outputs.

Also the 1152DC has a nice phono stage. I love mine and will never part with it. If you don't need the tuner, I'd say go for the integrated.
 
I'm the other way.
Never even seen an 1152dc.
I do have 4 2275, love them but will admit that the phono stage is nothing spectacular. In general, I am not thrilled with the phono stages of that era of Marantz.

FWIW, I didn't know how lame they are until I got stuff with much better phono ability.

The old school Marantz sound is wonderful but if vinyl is your thing, you can do much better with some other gear. Some of the Sansui and Yamaha vintage gear has phono performance that kicks Marantz to the curb.
 
FWIW, most vintage receivers use similar 2 or 3 transistor RIAA stages, so they're limited in how good they can be. Not that they're bad, but you can only do do much with limited gain and low tolerance components. Later op-amp designs are capable of being much better, but vinyl was on its way out by then.
 
Thx for the answers so far. I am not really interested in phono stage. My sources are DACs. I have vintage Yamahas so far. I know there is big cult of 70s Marantz receivers, maybe due to their "Tokyo at night" looks mainly, isn't it? I think of an amp cause they are smaller.
 
They made a lot more receivers than separates.

Consumer demand preferred all-in-one rigs so you didn't need to be a rocket scientist to hook it up. You also didn't need a lot of room.

Much if the same design was used between models.

So sonically, a brand has pretty much the same sound. There are of course exceptions to everything and of course the actual ones you get may or may not be working perfectly.

And as you can see, not many people replying have heard both so your question may never be answered correctly.
 
I have an 1152 and a 2250B Although I am yet to do a test...to see which is better

All the Yamaha stuff I've ever owned was always bright sounding to my ears....never cared for it

I've never heard a 2275 but I mention that the 1152dc is direct coupled and has a massive amplifier module with twice the outputs.

Also the 1152DC has a nice phono stage. I love mine and will never part with it. If you don't need the tuner, I'd say go for the integrated.

so all things being equal if you had to keep 1 of yours and it was between the 1152 and 2270 which would you choose (vinyl only) ?
 
so all things being equal if you had to keep 1 of yours and it was between the 1152 and 2270 which would you choose (vinyl only) ?

Both have been recapped, both using silmic II's. The 2270 got nichicon KG for main filter but the 1152dc got mundorfs. I would keep the 1152dc hands down. I'm not too impressed with the 2270. Maybe its because it took me a while to get going and when i did I was hoping for too much. I love the symmetry of the 2270, lights, meters etc but Too be honest, I never use it. Prob should pass it on so someone else can truly enjoy it.

The 1152 sounds killer to me.

This goes for both my OLA'S and 901s.
 
the reason i was asking is that I'm about to do a shootout between my 1152 and my 2250B...I can't keep both...1 reason being the last year I've really gotten deep into jazz and my record collection has grown (r e a l l y grown) which has been quite expensive...need to replenish my paypal account...2nd reason is that its what I said I was going to do in the first place to justify having them both restored (was hoping she would just forget, but...)


so, I'm going to play 5 albums in a row......all different genres, some great recordings, some bad...
 
I still have an 1152dc i bought in 1978 when i was 21 and I love it. It's the only thing I have from my teens, along with the turntable, cassette deck and tuner. I recently picked up a 4220 quad & a 2285b im going to restore so maybe I can come back when the 2285b is done with a more qualified opinion.
 

Attachments

  • 20250915_142011.jpg
    20250915_142011.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom