• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 1200 buzz noise left speaker only,.. coupling cap or something else?

macman007

Mcintosh..Made In USA
Hi folks, the faithful 1200 has developed a hiccup lately. Seems after playing a while, especially very quietly, or when sitting idle in between titles, after about an hour of running, I hear quietly very quietly a buzz with some 60hz , going up and down. It comes and goes, for about a minute, then goes away. I have isolated the 1200 from any room or other circuit influences, as well as other gear, even swapped speakers. I use my 1200's pre amp center channel to feed signal to a powered subwoofer, which times out after while if no music plays, When the hum-buzz begins, you hear the relay trying to kick on the sub's idle shutdown relay. I get the buzz from the speaker with everything else, even the other speaker, subwoofer, and all other peripherals and cables disconnected.

My thought is one or more caps are beginning to break/broken down and letting DC pass, perhaps a output coupling cap for the left channel. Everything on this unit is original, except the power supply board protect relay caps, I got a pair of NOS caps from Catrafter 15 years ago now for a buzzing protect relay. This is different. I've owned/ its been in my family since brand new, so I know it's complete history

Its planned to recap it 100% this year, I'm actively trying to get a decent cap list together. You'd think someone would have one posted here, or several for that matter, as with other Marantz's. There are a few 1200's out there after al.

Should anyone reading this have an idea based on experience which cap(s) are failing, if my suspicions are correct ( think they are) please reply to this post. I just need to get a few more months out of the unit, till I get my other preamp back in service after the holidays. Then this one is relegated to the bench for an overdue overhaul.

I have measured the speaker outputs, there is no more than the specified DC voltage on either channel at anytime, even with the buzzing. I tried the speakers on both speaker system terminals. The buzz is till there on the left channel, with the very quiet 60hz tone thru-out..

Thanks and happy holidays!
 
Register to hide this ad
30 days no replies? WOW.. For the record, the noise is being caused by the tone board circuitry, a cap more than likely. Plans are to recap the board and test every one replaced till I find and identify the culprit. After that, I'll recap the rest of the unit, I want to know which cap causes the noise/ I'm going to use film Wima Poly MKP NP caps, but only on certain caps the audio path, and for those caps only caps smaller than 0.47uf. Other wise, polar Nichion FW's for the audio and Panasonic FC's in the PS and such.. Any opinions or thoughts on this course of 'treatment'?? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I have obtaineded a 1200 that has a loud buzz from within the unit. I have refurbished several 22xx receivers, but I considered this one over my head. So I have sent it to Bob Speece in hopes it is restorable. I will enjoy watching and learning if you document your recap/refurb. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction with your buzz. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom