• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 140

Boogies1018

New Member
I bought a model 140 knowing it had a power problem. I’ve restored my 2230 and now I’m diving into this. It blows the fuse as soon as you apply power. I’ve been reading about the protection relay causing power problems but I haven’t seen anything about blowing fuses.
 
Register to hide this ad
I wouldn’t power up again without a dim bulb tester. Others should be able to help you track it down. I haven’t worked on a 140, but if it’s easy to disconnect the power to the amp boards, you could start by disconnecting one at a time to see if one amp is the source of the problem - possibly shorted outputs?
 
Im not. I pulled the amps out and was doing some cleanup it’s really dusty inside looking for anything burnt or swollen.
 
I wouldn’t power up again without a dim bulb tester. Others should be able to help you track it down. I haven’t worked on a 140, but if it’s easy to disconnect the power to the amp boards, you could start by disconnecting one at a time to see if one amp is the source of the problem - possibly shorted outputs?

Amp boards are super easy in the 140, two Molex style connectors and two wires with female connectors. If I recall Its also 6 or 8 screws holding them int the sides. Was one of the easiest units I've worked on.
 
I'll be watching with great interest as I have a line on a nice 140 in its' wood case. ;-)
 
Back
Top Bottom