• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2015 as a preamp???

dsd5150

Member
Currently feeding a turntable, squeezebox and tuner into a 2015 as a preamp (as I like its sound) to feed an eq and then into a tube amp.

This config works for me, but I am only using the tape out into the eq as this model does not have pre-amp outs.

I would love to have gain and bass / treble controls available as if this were a true preamp... Would rather not use the headphone out unless that is the only viable option...

Would it be feasible to hijack the headphone out jack and internally wire it to a set of rca jacks that I would install on the back?

Any thoughts, experiences, or ideas are welcome and appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
I wouldn't bother. Keep it as a bedroom system amp, it would be beautiful for that. I love the Marantz sound! A good pre can be had fairly cheaply these days if you are patient. Some tube headphone amps are built with pre outs and are worth a look. Also some of the newer DACs have pre-outs with a selector and volume control as well as a USB in for using a PC as a music server. Grant Fidelity makes a really cool one. Check it out.
 
Splendid idea hatrack71! Took your advice and just received this morning a 2230 for the purpose or a preamp as it has preamp outs and the warm Marantz sound that I love... Also couldn't beat the price for a CLEAN and fully functional unit for $50 + 15 shipping...

2015 now destined to be used as my office rig at work... As soon as I replace some bulbs and parchment.
 
Back
Top Bottom