• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2220 in so-so condition...

James_Dean

Active Member
Have been offered a Marantz 2220 (non-B) that comes with wood case. At least two lights are out, including the tuner indicator light. Wood case is kind of rough with some scratches and nicks. Front of unit also has scratches and marks. Fairly far from mint. Price is $60. Is this fair for the unit, considering the cost of getting lights changed and the time for cosmetic restoration, or should I look at buying a higher power unit instead?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Have been offered a Marantz 2220 (non-B) that comes with wood case. At least two lights are out, including the tuner indicator light. Wood case is kind of rough with some scratches and nicks. Front of unit also has scratches and marks. Fairly far from mint. Price is $60. Is this fair for the unit, considering the cost of getting lights changed and the time for cosmetic restoration, or should I look at buying a higher power unit instead?

Thanks!

I, personally, would pass. I often see those in really shape for a hundred.
Wait for one of those. But, cosmetics are VERY important to me.
YMMV
 
That's sort of what I'm thinking too. By the time I put the time and energy into get this back into nice shape I could purchase a higher power Marantz that is more versatile for a bit more money. The wood case adds value I guess but it looks like it is in pretty rough shape from the pictures I have seen. I know this thing is 30-40 years old, but it really does look like someone put it in a garage and stacked a bunch of stuff on top of it or something.
 
$60? I'd take a swing at that one as long as the WC is not water damaged. Also, the scratches on the face should be "normal" wear and tear.
 
With the case I'd say it's a decent deal. Hell, the case alone can go for more than that if it's structurally solid. A picture would help, one person's idea of "kind of rough" could be very different than someone else's.
 
Yup with wc I'd buy it, restore it and give it away or sell it. Don't you know marantz's make great xmas gifts!
 
Sixty bucks for a working but so-so cosmetically Marantz 2220 with a wood case would be a good price around here. I guess it depends whether you want to take on a project or not. I've read that those 2220's have a nice sound and seem more powerful than 20wpc.
 
Back
Top Bottom