• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2220 makes wind noise after being on for 2-3 minutes

Kpangolo

New Member
Hello,
My Marantz 2220 started to do wind/stormy noises on both sets of speakers (Main and Remote) and on both sides (left and right). The sound also comes out of the Tape Out when connected to powered speakers however, it stops when I press Tape Monitor button (stops sound from going to speakers). The sound starts after the amp is on for a little while (2-3 minutes).
Does anyone know what this problem can be?
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Yes first things first, give the unit a good cleaning, deoxit all pots and switches, and clean inputs on the rear. That may take care of it, and if not on to more diagnostics.
 
Yes first things first, give the unit a good cleaning, deoxit all pots and switches, and clean inputs on the rear. That may take care of it, and if not on to more diagnostics.
OK, thanks.I have cleaned the pots when I bought it 2 years back and it has been working perfectly since then. The noise only just started this week out of the blue. Is it possible that one transistor just failed?
 
Certainly could be a myriad of issues, with burnt transistors the possible culprit. I’m a firm believer in doing the simplest first - pop the top, perform a thorough visual inspection, and re-clean first. Also post photos - there is much knowledge on here that could help troubleshoot.
 
Last edited:
I am not sure where to start from. I do have a potentiometer. How do I check if the power supply is the problem?
Thanks
IMG_4818.jpeg IMG_4819.jpeg

IMG_4820.jpeg IMG_4822.jpg
 
I know what I think a potentiometer is, but i don’t know what you think it is?
Pretty dirty unit, there are some threads on chassis cleaning you may want to review, before you try any switch outs or new parts.
Another good place to read is the Marantz forum, lot of good info there!
 
I know what I think a potentiometer is, but i don’t know what you think it is?
Pretty dirty unit, there are some threads on chassis cleaning you may want to review, before you try any switch outs or new parts.
Another good place to read is the Marantz forum, lot of good info there!
Hahaha, sorry I meant multimeter.
Yes, it seems like someone may have dropped some liquid on top of it ages ago, but the unit was working fine up to now.
OK, I will see how I could clean it first, maybe this will help.
 
This whole thing about something working "fine up to now"... That does not mean that a piece of equipment that is coming up on being 50 years old will not fail at some point in time. I agree that a good cleaning is in order as a first step and then if that does not work a targeted and proper diagnosis. My first thought was a transistor that was getting a bit long in the tooth. I have never personally experienced that "wind noise" but I have read on here that it can be one of the symptoms of a bad transistor.

So, on to the cleaning because it is always a good idea. See how that works and then proceed with further diagnosis if necessary...
 
Back
Top Bottom