• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2220 Meter Light Replacement

leonethelion

New Member
Anyone here know an easy way to access the meter housing light? I've been able to get to the main set of lights from the back by removing a couple parts that were in the way since accessing from the front was difficult. As for the meter lamp housing there doesn't seem to be an easy way to access it. From the front or from the rear. The 2220B makes it easy from the back but not the 2220. Any tricks of the trade out there? Cant seem to find a video with the exact model. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Anyone here know an easy way to access the meter housing light? I've been able to get to the main set of lights from the back by removing a couple parts that were in the way since accessing from the front was difficult. As for the meter lamp housing there doesn't seem to be an easy way to access it. From the front or from the rear. The 2220B makes it easy from the back but not the 2220. Any tricks of the trade out there? Cant seem to find a video with the exact model. Thanks!
I just changed mine so I’ve gone ahead and opened it again and took photos.

Remove cover

IMG_1039.jpeg

Remove knobs and face

IMG_1041.jpeg

Remove screw holder beneath meter and frequency dial face.

IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1043.jpeg

Remove screw at top of meter.

IMG_1045.jpeg

Gently pull meter away from face, while carefully taking the tuner pointer string off of the wheel seen in the picture above. Be careful that it does not come off of ANY of the other wheels or you will not be happy.

IMG_1046.jpeg

While taking care not to damage small capacitor behind meter gently pull the meter partially out of housing to access bulb. Hopefully you have small fingers.

IMG_1047.jpeg

Change your bulb, carefully put the string back on the wheel and screw that top screw in again, then put everything back together!

Hope this helps,

Bob
 
Last edited:
I like that you are able to do it without disconnecting the meter leads. Sometimes meters are bonded too tightly to the chassis to pop them out easily but for the rest this is potentially a big timesaver.
 
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think its just a singe screw on the back of the meter housing and the lamp and PCB come out with enough room to sneak a new one in. looks identical to my 2230 that I just did that on.
 
I just changed mine so I’ve gone ahead and opened it again and took photos.

Remove cover

View attachment 3448910

Remove knobs and face

View attachment 3448912

Remove screw holder beneath meter and frequency dial face.

View attachment 3448913

View attachment 3448916

Remove screw at top of meter.

View attachment 3448917

Gently pull meter away from face, while carefully taking the tuner pointer string off of the wheel seen in the picture above. Be careful that it does not come off of ANY of the other wheels or you will not be happy.

View attachment 3448919

While taking care not to damage small capacitor behind meter gently pull the meter partially out of housing to access bulb. Hopefully you have small fingers.

View attachment 3448920

Change your bulb, carefully put the string back on the wheel and screw that top screw in again, then put everything back together!

Hope this helps,

Bob
You went above and beyond. Thank you! I will be working on this tonight.
 
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think its just a singe screw on the back of the meter housing and the lamp and PCB come out with enough room to sneak a new one in. looks identical to my 2230 that I just did that on.
Unfortunately the screw through the dial plate that I referenced above also screws into the meter housing so you have to remove that and the top screw to pull it out. I’m guessing either yours wasn’t designed with the through the dial screw or somebody else took it out and never put it back. Either way on the 2220 it’s two screws as you can see in the photos I posted.
 
That sounds way harder than it should be. The 2230/2245/2270 meters have a metal retainer on the back of the meter housing where you can just remove one or two screws to get access to the meters lamps from the rear. Hard to imagine why the 2220 would be different, but maybe? A 2230 shown for reference:

IMG_8887_crop.jpgIMG_8893.jpg

Actually, there is a picture from a 2220 in another thread, it looks like access should be the same as in the 2230. (Just be careful you don't drop that screw inside, sometimes they like to play hide and seek.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom