• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2226b power supply voltage low/ r776 getting very hot

RobBob42

New Member
Hello this is my first post,long time reader and need help. I'm working on a marantz 2226b with a build date of 11-30-1977. I picked this up used and thought I would try to get it working correctly. First the fuse 704 was open and no illumination bulbs worked.replaced fuse with correct one and now all bulbs light up except one,upon closer inspection previous owner replaced the 5 fuse bulbs with regular automotive type ge168 bulbs,and one of the tuning strength bulbs with something wrong. Maybe these bulbs explain a blown fuse 704??? This is not the main concern but I wanted to mention it as you never know when things are related
It powers up and plays but with distortion noticed if you try to turn it up much at all,fm tuner barely works can only tune in to three stations and with a slight hum noticed only on fm mode,I tried to adjust per the manual from hifiengine dc offset on both channels fluctuate around 3.0mv to 7.0mv,,there is no or barely any bias voltage. When trying to adjust power supply and checking on pins j708+ and j715-,,,,I get about 25 volts and it should be 35.0 volts,,moving vr pot to Max only takes it to about 29 volts
Another problem I notice is that r776 is getting very very hot,,Its a big 100 ohm 5 watt ceramic resistor,,I checked the current it was dissapating from stuff I learned here;;voltage on one side 43.64,voltage on other side 8.48volts=35.5 volts difference by 100ohm=12.36watts on a 5watt resistor..please correct me if I did not do that correctly

Also please understand I am not an electronic specialist,,I am a ex Ford dealer tech,I specialize in ford only automatic transmissions,,with a pretty good background in automotive electronics,,I am slowly learning this stuff and I am very interested in learning for my own self,I appreciate any and all help I can get
I did some voltage and resistance checks as follows;;;in circuit
R775 22ohm=good,,checked dc voltage about 43 volts on both sides of resistor
R778 1.5k=good,,34volts one side 25on the other side of resistor
R777 1.5k=good,,34 volts on one side and 43 on the other side
R779 3.87k=good,,,9 volts on one side 24.9 on the other
Checked voltage at diode 748==9volts other side 0 volts dc
Checked q746 b=25.3,c=43.0,e=24.6
Should be b=35.6,c=43,e=35

Checked q747,,,b=10.5,c=25.6,e=9.9

I only new to check these things based on another similar thread where the p/s voltage was too high!!
Please help me out,any and all help appreciated,,sincerely Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
Trying to get you started while waiting for the marantz gurus.
Yep, 12.xxWatts. Please don't power on again. Suggest you build
a dim bulb tester, plans on AK. Will have a closer look at the
schematic.
 
R776 is part of the regulated supply for the tuner, including light show.
Looks like Q750 is working too hard maybe because of zener Q748 or
Q746,7. This works with trimmer R783 for the voltage adjustment.

Now looking at your measurements
R776...350mA
R777...6mA
R778...6mA
R779...4mA

Looks like an ongoing short and the power supply can't stand up.
Can you select another output (AUX, TAPE,,) rather than tuner.
Would prefer you build the DBT first.
 
Thank you mbz for your time and knowledge,,I have a dbt I built a while ago,,it plays music and doesn't blow any fuses,,because of the excessive heat coming from r776 I don't keep it powered up for no longer than 30seconds if that,,but I think if I was going to leave it on for any length of time I would use it,,or am I thinking wrong and it would help diag other than power limiting??
Just to add at j722 I have 9.4vdc which is coming out of q750
Q750=b10vdc C=9.4 E=9.4
Thank you for helping me as keep in mind I am learning from you
 
Forgot to mention,r776 gets hot regardless of source selected..aux-am-phono-tape 2or pressing tape 1 monitor button
Stupid question the 35volts p/s voltage is created/starts at main board or does the transformer create that voltage and it's just adjusted at the main board to get it exactly at 35volts?? Hopefully I stated my question the correct way!!
 
R776 will eventually fail running at 12Watts, keep it on DBT until
someone works out whats happening. From the voltage measurements
the marantz guys will know whats happening.

Just to add at j722 I have 9.4vdc which is coming out of q750
Q750=b10vdc C=9.4 E=9.4
That is looking like a c-e short, try diode testing Q750, incircuit, amp powered off. Also consider replacing.

Stupid question the 35volts p/s voltage is created/starts at main board or does the transformer create that voltage and it's just adjusted at the main board to get it exactly at 35volts??
All voltages come from the transformer as AC, they are rectified/converted to DC then smoothed either by the large filter caps or by a voltage regulation
circuitry as is the case here. This regulation circuit includes fine adjustment for the operating voltage, so yes just fine tuning...
 
Back
Top Bottom