• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2230 headphone jack replacement

vrobec

Active Member
Hello!

The headphone jack in my 2230 is broken. I've bought the replacement but it's not the right one. It has 4 pins for soldering the wires, so one 100 ohm resistor can't be soldered. I pointed it on the attached picture.

Please recommend me a proper replacement headphone jack for my beloved Marantz.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • hphones_2230 (1).jpg
    hphones_2230 (1).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
Register to hide this ad
I have a 2270 junk case that I believe still has the headphone jack, and the service manuals list 2230 and 2270 as the same part. If I'm correct, you are welcome to the part. I'll check when I get home tonight to be sure I have it. If I do, I'll PM you and get your address. No charge of course.
Steve
 
I have a 2270 junk case that I believe still has the headphone jack, and the service manuals list 2230 and 2270 as the same part. If I'm correct, you are welcome to the part. I'll check when I get home tonight to be sure I have it. If I do, I'll PM you and get your address. No charge of course.
Steve

Ok, thanks! :)
 
Another question. :)
When the headphone is connected does it affect the sound quality on the speakers? Is it better to pull out the headphones when want to use speakers?

PS:
I'm using the headphones to reduce the thump on speakers when I turn on the Marantz 2230 receiver.
 
Not a technical answer, but it stands to reason that headphones and speakers might require different volumes. I wouldn’t plug the headphones in if playing through speakers. I would think deselecting both sets of speakers before powering up would eliminate the thump.

By the way, I do have that headphone jack out of a 2270 that should fit. PM incoming.
Steve
 
The thump is always present when I power on the receiver. Tried powering on with unengaged speakers but I got much louder scratch when I press the button to engage the speakers. No matter using main or remote, the scratch is always here. So I deceided to turn on with engaged speakers, because the thump is less dangerous (I think). I don't know what is the solution.
 
Your 2230 has capacitively coupled outputs and no speaker relay, so you may hear the sound slowly fade out when you power it off. There may also be some 'pops' when the speaker and power switches are cycled. You can insert a ¼ inch to 1/8 inch stereo adapter or headphones into the headphone jack to activate the headphone attenuator and minimize the pops.

Tom
 
Your 2230 has capacitively coupled outputs and no speaker relay, so you may hear the sound slowly fade out when you power it off. There may also be some 'pops' when the speaker and power switches are cycled. You can insert a ¼ inch to 1/8 inch stereo adapter or headphones into the headphone jack to activate the headphone attenuator and minimize the pops.

Tom

OK. thank you. The inserted stereo adapter pushes the contacts and activate the R013 and R014 resistors on left and right channels, but activating these resistors affects the sound quality on speakers. Am I right or not? :)
 
my 2230 headphone jack also disintegrated :-(

I'm getting a new modern 1/4" jack (Switchcraft # 112BX ), but it's a simpler 3-pin design

thus will be using 2 resistors only, in series with each channel lead... using 220ohm, 3W parts

QUESTION: what is the best *type* of resistor for this application -- wirewound, metal oxide, metal film, carbon film, etc?

they're all inexpensive, so want the best choice

(I'm ordering through Mouser or Digikey)

thanks!
 
my 2230 headphone jack also disintegrated :-(

I'm getting a new modern 1/4" jack (Switchcraft # 112BX ), but it's a simpler 3-pin design

thus will be using 2 resistors only, in series with each channel lead... using 220ohm, 3W parts

QUESTION: what is the best *type* of resistor for this application -- wirewound, metal oxide, metal film, carbon film, etc?

they're all inexpensive, so want the best choice

(I'm ordering through Mouser or Digikey)

thanks!
Anything but carbon film. Probably metal, either type. Nothing wrong with wirewounds though.
 
Back
Top Bottom