• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2230 yikes pop on start up

PR2020

Active Member
Hello all,

Just finished a restore on an engraved 2230. It sounds great...only issue is a bad pop when I turn the speakers on. I'm aware of the normal pop that this receiver has...but I don't think this is it. I wait the 10 sec. for everything to power up and then hit the switch. What do you think? Once on it runs great. If I turn speakers off and back on several..times...no issue. This is just after it has sat for several hours. Video posted.




Thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow that is a sharp pop. (edited because I had 1060's on my brain when I wrote my first response but the issue is with a 2230).

I find that the start up pop is louder after I do a rebuild on a 2230. Were the values of the filter and coupling capacitors increased significantly? When I rebuild a 2230 I use a Nichicon Gold Tune Type II 6800uF/80V for the filter cap. I used to boost the coupling caps to 4700uF/80V. I attributed the louder pop at startup to this. I've gotten more conservative and now I use 2200uF/80V Gold Tunes for the coupling caps.

What did you use in this 2230? Is the pop reduced significantly with a headphone adapter jack plugged in? And, can you isolate the source of the pop to the main amps by unplugging the Main In/Pre Out jumpers before powering up?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom