• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2240 Light Mystery

lildoug

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey everyone,
I have a 2240 that I converted to LEDs a while ago. I was using it as a pre with a 240 power amp plugged into it. Apparently it was more than the switched outlet could handle. Stupid mistake. :drool: The power button became stuck on it and the dial lights became very dim.

No longer using it as a pre and would like to get it back on track. It sounds fine and the power button is working as it should again. Strange though that the dial lights are very dim. The indicator lights are all fine and bright but it seems those aren't being powered directly off of the transformer like the dial lamps. Hoping I didn't do any damage to the transformer. What do you guys think?

Best,
D
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK! Having no clue as to how the LED conversion was done I can not offer direct advice. I can suggest to contact AK member 'jblmar' who is located right in Brooklyn. He's a great tech (nad good guy) and can maybe assist you.
 
Thanks for the tip. Good techs in this town are hard to find.

The conversion was really simple plug in fuse type bulbs. Worked great until I blew it up!
 
Most likely the line spike from the failed switch blew the LEDs out, having passed through the power transformer to the 8V secondary windings. You can verify that by using a 9V battery to test them, removing them from the sockets first.
 
Fantastic idea. I'll give it a shot. To be clear, the dial lamps (LEDs) are all still producing light, just much lower than they were.

Thanks for the idea.
 
Back
Top Bottom