• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Marantz 2240... Not good

Tonyawesome

New Member
Hi all. First post, long time lurker.

First off, my humble set-up:

Pro-ject III Essential
Rectilinear III Highboys
Technics SA-80 (moving to Yamaha CR-840)

So my step-father informed me that he had an old Marantz he'd let me have (sweet). I was not ready for the condition it was in.

Only one channel works. I cleaned volume pot but the speaker relay likes to freak out and click all the time. I can jam some paper inbetween the contacts and it'll play nice.

I can solder just fine and have done recap jobs on many a video game systems.

But guys, where the hell do I start?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180810_154104.jpg
    IMG_20180810_154104.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20180810_154107.jpg
    IMG_20180810_154107.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180810_155251.jpg
    IMG_20180810_155251.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20180810_155255.jpg
    IMG_20180810_155255.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20180810_155301.jpg
    IMG_20180810_155301.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180810_155306.jpg
    IMG_20180810_155306.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180810_155313.jpg
    IMG_20180810_155313.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20180810_154001.jpg
    IMG_20180810_154001.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20180810_155315.jpg
    IMG_20180810_155315.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20180810_154004.jpg
    IMG_20180810_154004.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 107
Register to hide this ad
After you've done a thorough cleaning, I'd start with the power supply board. Replace the relay and the caps. Not expensive to do. I've done a re-cap on a 2240B and it was pretty straight forward. The 2240 is a nice receiver when it's all tuned up.
 
s-g-tool-aid-17330-all-purpose-economy-paint-brush-2_28359544.jpeg
191801_K_Left_L.jpg


And don't just clean the volume, you want to do the switches and all rotary controls too. Then, if it still isn't working right, clean them out again.
 
Ok boys. Pulled out the psu board after unsoldering a few wires. I'll order new caps. There are quite a few boards that have caps...

Cleaning is coming as well.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180815_204312.jpg
    IMG_20180815_204312.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 47
I would start with a vacuum and soft to medium bristle paint brush to loosen the stuff up as you stuck it up.

From there, grab the service manual from here (must be a subscriber to access the digital docs section) or hifi engine and see if you can dial in the dc offset, idle current and power supply. This may stop the relay from going nuts.

From there you'll want to do a thorough cleaning of all the pots and switches. There are loads of threads here on how to do this.

If it functions well at this point, listen to it for a few days and put it through its paces. Let it warm up good. Doing this may bring light to other issues that may need addressing while or before recapping and you wont have to order parts twice. :thumbsup:
 
Adjusting the DC offset and adjusting the other components is a bit outside my wheelhouse. I have a multimeter though. I'll dig into it.

Side note: Why is shipping at mouser $8 for 8 caps? Insanity.
 
I don't think Mouser uses padded envelopes. Everything I've ordered-- little tiny orders of caps and transistors come in this nice standardized box which you can fold all the old parts and crud up in when the project's done. :)

Watthour: what's the unit in the sink in your photo? Looks a lot like the Yamaha R-500 I've been working on.
 
Back
Top Bottom