• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2245 - Likes ? Dislikes ? Cautions ?

krowmagnum

Compulsive speaker freak
I got a chance to get a Marants 2245 and from everything I've read about it I don't think I will be disappointed. And the price is right (1/2 of ePay sales)

Anyone care to share their thoughts ?

What to look out for ?

Thanks,
K
 
Register to hide this ad
I have one, it's great and has nice range with that warm Marantz sound, the best thing you can do is get a copy of the service manual and electronics schematics. Also look around for a light kit, good to have on hand just in case! :thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
I have one, it's great and has nice range with that warm Marantz sound, the best thing you can do is get a copy of the service manual and electronics schematics. Also look around for a light kit, good to have on hand just in case! :thmbsp::thmbsp:


It comes with a "manual" but he didn't specify what it was. I assumed the owners manual. Would that have the schematics ?

I'm probably going to get it if the condition is good. I can run an amplifier with that too right ?
 
I had one for years. Ran trouble free with plenty of power and a warm, sweet sound to it. Sold it to make room for higher powered units, but have nothing but good things to say about the 2245. :thmbsp:
 
Yep, a solid mid-high range receiver for that era Marantz. Mine has been in the family since new and running strong now, although took me more than a few repairs to get it back up to snuff (bad caps & fouled switches, which are probably the things to watch for - oh and plus blown lamps of course... that thing has a ton of bulbs to go wrong). Just posted a thread about a new minor problem I've got with the FM muting circuit stuck on (aka probably another gunked switch) but it's still sounding excellent.
 
I love mine and would consider selling otheres before it. I plan a full recap and have done the LED upgrade and could not be happier with the results. I picked up the LED kit fron AK's Whsh93a. His kits and instructions make this upgrade very easy.

Enjoy it...I do!!
 
I picked up the LED kit fron AK's Whsh93a. His kits and instructions make this upgrade very easy.

I did the LED kit on this puppy too. It is bright and shiny and of course will last 100 years, however one thing as frequently noted is that it DOES come out far more vivid blue than the OEM 'blue with hint of teal/aqua'. I'm not sure I would do it again for this unit and might retro just the main dial illumination back to bulbs at some point for that reason.

The tuner pointer and meters and function / stereo indicator etc. all work great as LED's though.
 
I did the LED kit on this puppy too. It is bright and shiny and of course will last 100 years, however one thing as frequently noted is that it DOES come out far more vivid blue than the OEM 'blue with hint of teal/aqua'. I'm not sure I would do it again for this unit and might retro just the main dial illumination back to bulbs at some point for that reason.

The tuner pointer and meters and function / stereo indicator etc. all work great as LED's though.

Thanks for the tips. I'll be replacing the dial lamps and was thinking about LED's but I'd rather have the OEM look. Sounds like a mix of LED's and original type lamps will be the best option.
 
I listen to my 2245 at work 8 hours/day, 3 days per week on average. It has a lovely sound, and looks great too. Of course, any receiver this old will benefit from a refurbishment to replace old, out-of-spec caps and re-align the tuner. I haven't had mine done yet, but am in line to have mine gone over in the next couple of months. From all accounts, the improvement in sound quality can be nothing short of stunning. And once it's back up to spec, you're good to go for another 20 or 30 years.
 
Back
Top Bottom