• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2250b: Overheated output transistors repair saga

Dolly

New Member
Hello, this is my first post here. I am not an electronics expert but love to learn. I seek some advice.

I have a Marantz 2250b receiver. I've had it for almost ten years. It's been a wonderful-sounding receiver (in tandem with small 1980s TOA studio reference monitor speakers [rated 120w] and a 1970 Pioneer PL-12D-II turntable, in a very small house).

Up until recently, I've only brought the receiver in once for repairs four years ago, after the left channel went out. The speaker relay and a couple of capacitors were replaced, and the main power switch repaired.

Recently I started to hear intermittent crackling from the left channel. It often would go away after some time. Then one day, I heard loud popping/crackling noises from the left channel, and the receiver completely shut down after a big pop. No lights would come on when the power button was pushed.

I brought the deck to a technician, who discovered a blown 12v5a fuse and two shorted output transistors (2sc1343 and 2sa753). While in there, he also replaced 3 panel lights and the stereo indicator light.

I brought the receiver home, and fired it up. Again after some time, noise came from the left, and then no sound. However, this time the panel lights stayed lit, but no sound came out. I immediately turned off the switch and unplugged.

I called the technician. He said it could be my speakers that caused this problem. I agreed to bring them in along with the receiver.

This time, the technician found the receiver in "protect mode." He again found a shorted output transistor 2sc1343.

My speakers tested just fine. They were rated appropriately for the power of this receiver and had no issues that the technician could find.

He determined that the cause of the shorting output transistors was heat build-up at the heat sink, "due to stripped mounting hardware screw holes" that caused the screws to become loose on the output transistors on the heatsinks (all due to the advanced age of the receiver). So he "used larger hold-down screws" to re-mount ALL the transistors, made "bias and dc offset adjustments, tested all modes and functions."

This time, I brought the receiver home and ran it for 4 hours. At first I heard a little bit of minor crackling from the left, but it stopped. The system sounded great -- for awhile.

But a few hours later, I heard crackles and a loud pop from the left. The sound stopped, display lights went out, and then I saw smoke coming from the rear left of the receiver!! What a stench! Immediately I unplugged it, unhooked everything and took it outside to the garage.

After giving it a couple of days to rest, I decided to open up the deck and look inside where the smoke had come. The output transistor in the rear left heatsink was missing a mounting screw! And also there was a screw missing from the bracket holding down the heatsink on that same side. I was really surprised to see all this.

Again, I called the technician. And he tried to tell me it was my speakers that caused the problem again! What?? I told him the speakers were fine -- he tested them last time and they still function. The issue was that there was a *missing screw* on the output transistor 2sa753. He couldn't argue with what I saw. I took photos, I told him. There probably are some other things that burned up when this happened, but I couldn't see anything obvious when I looked inside. He agreed to repair the receiver again under repair warranty.

But I don't plan to bring it back to him after this.

Have any of you experts heard of overheating output transistors being caused by the screws working loose on the heatsinks? Or could this be caused by something else that he didn't find? Is it even possible for speakers to cause this kind of problem? I am happy to answer any questions if anything I've reported is unclear or needs more detail. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.
 
Register to hide this ad
You need to get it to a competent tech who knows Marantz units.
I have worked on over a hundred Marantz units and have never come across stripped out output transistor screws and if I did I would replace the entire socket with a proper replacement and screws that were correct.
I've seen a lot of cobbled up repairs but not sheetrock screws holding TO3 transistors in.

Yet......


Bob
 
Thank you, Bob, Chris and Pete. I suspected this issue and fix was unusual. The technician said that several of the screws were loose, and could not be tightened, and that because of that the output transistors were not making good contact with the heat sinks.

Would you agree, though, that loose screws would have caused the initial overheating and failure? Or could it have been something else? [But the *missing* screw HAD to be the cause of the final failure, right?]

Regarding taking the unit to "someone that knows what they are doing," I don't have many choices in my small city. There's the guy I went to, and there is another preferable one, but he just had his hip replaced and recommended the guy I went to. ]-:

A "larger rebuild" would be ideal, but there probably aren't any local technicians that would do this justice or who have the time.

I'd consider shipping it out to a technician/shop that gets solid recommendations here. Thanks!
 
it might help if we knew where you were ..or at least an area .. the earth is rather large ..
i have never seen screws coming loose all on their own . if they did i think they were loose to start with .. threads certainly dont strip on their own .
 
The output transistors sit against the heat sink and are screwed through holes in the heat sink, to the transistors sockets (which are on the back side of the heat sink). While anything is possible, I don't think I've ever seen stripped transistor sockets.

The real give away in your description is the popping and crackling noises you are hearing from the left channel, this is likely a good indication that your receiver needs to be rebuilt.

Also, since the same technician replaced the outputs 2 times, I would have to think that if the screws were stripped, he would have been the one who stripped them and he would have noticed it during the first replacement.

I wouldn't get hung up on the mounting screw issue, it seems that you receiver needed some amount of rebuilding after you had the initial problem, it was taken to the wrong person, then other problems occurred becasue it wan't repaired correctly the first time. - Chris
 
Okay, sounds like te original problem was caused by something other than a loose screw, and that I took this receiver to the wrong person and they diagnosed it incorrectly, and possibility messed it up when trying to repair it.

And so to really fix the initial problem, the receiver needs to be "rebuilt."

I am in Northern California (few hours drive to San Francisco), in a rural area where there seems to be only two people who work on vintage audio and one of them is the technician I went to.

Any suggestions as to where I could get the receiver rebuilt would be appreciated. I'd be willing to ship if I could feel confident to the quality of workmanship.

Thank you so much.
 
If you want to ship it to Idaho, I have a guy who has not failed me yet. If you want his number, send me a PM. Rich
 
Welcome Dolly and sorry you're having troubles with the 2250B. Suggest you check out some of the Marantz repair or rebuild threads in the Marantz or Solid State forums, you'll find a number of good techs with their stories and repair/troubleshooting/restoration threads. Some of them may even be located in the Bay Area or within a reasonable shipping distance. I'd start planning on how to pack your unit (without wood cabinet), see the sticky in the Packing and Shipping forum for good instructions. Be sure to get all old parts, plus bills and history of what was previously done.
 
Back
Top Bottom