• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2252b relay wont engage… oddly. HELP

xalara76

Active Member
Just picked up this 2252b receiver and the relay doesnt engage 99% of the time. It will engage after an elongated period of time under “aux”. Turn up the volume under aux and it disengages. If started and engaged under “aux” once switched over to FM for example the relay immediately disengages again. What could be the issue ? Cant test via main in or pre out because relay wont engage. Cleaned relay under cover and still same situation. Set power supply to 35V as well.
 
Register to hide this ad
Bought a 2238 from a guy who told me it would need to be recapped because only one channel worked. Cleaned the controls and everything worked as it should. A dirty switch or selector can stop/distort a signal enough to cause problems.

May not be the problem here, but it's a great place to start in just about every case. If you don't want to bother, you could get a meter and the schematic and measure the voltages at the relay.
 
Bought a 2238 from a guy who told me it would need to be recapped because only one channel worked. Cleaned the controls and everything worked as it should. A dirty switch or selector can stop/distort a signal enough to cause problems.

May not be the problem here, but it's a great place to start in just about every case. If you don't want to bother, you could get a meter and the schematic and measure the voltages at the relay.
I'll try and measure the voltages at the relay as well. in this case, it seems like the relay is protecting the unit from burning something up as the second it clicks in and turns volume up it disengages and goes back into protect mode. I suspect high DC and or bad transistor.
 
I'll try and measure the voltages at the relay as well. in this case, it seems like the relay is protecting the unit from burning something up as the second it clicks in and turns volume up it disengages and goes back into protect mode. I suspect high DC and or bad transistor.
I think you are on to something. Maybe disconnect one amp at a time and see if it will come out of protection. If it does, you have found your bad amp.
 
I think you are on to something. Maybe disconnect one amp at a time and see if it will come out of protection. If it does, you have found your bad amp.
I wish this was like the 2275 where amp modules were removable with pig tail connectors but it isnt. I tested voltage at J722 and im getting a perfect 35V for the power supply board. Its definitely an amp issue. Should I start by removing the main output transistors ?
 
Symptoms suggest that it is a DC offset issue; the DC offset can be measured on the main amplifier board where the emitter resistors for are connected.

2252B Main Amp and Protection Original.jpg
 
Symptoms suggest that it is a DC offset issue; the DC offset can be measured on the main amplifier board where the emitter resistors for are connected.

View attachment 2310472

Okay I removed the output transistors and tested them. They seem to be ok. Where do I hookup my Multimeter to make channel adjustments for DC ?
Symptoms suggest that it is a DC offset issue; the DC offset can be measured on the main amplifier board where the emitter resistors for are connected.

View attachment 2310472

Got some odd news to report back ! Relay is engaging within 5 seconds now once powered up. However all my dial lights just blew out including the little selector indicators. The tuning meters still light up !? WTF !
 
Did you adjust DC offset to 0mV? You have to download the Service Manual, if you haven't, and check the adjustments page.

Sounds like the lights got too much juice. You have to look at the schematic and see how many Vs are supposed to go to the lights, then measure what they're actually getting.
 
Did you adjust DC offset to 0mV?

Sounds like the lights got too much juice. You have to look at the schematic and see how many Vs are supposed to go to the lights, then measure what they're actually getting.
I believe I did adjust it. Do you know which pins im supposed to use as test points ? I had the underbody cover off tapped the preamp stage and relay engaged but lost all my lights once that happened..? Still no sound either
 
Back
Top Bottom