• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2252B Restoration

Rectilinear1

Professional Record Restorer
Hello all! Well I finally locally sourced a Marantz receiver and went and picked it up. Here is what I've got. 2252B with FM decoder cartridge installed. I bought it second hand off the original owner whose dad had owned it and who has recently passed away. I am going to be going through this unit and servicing it. Thank you in advance for all of the help. I had a couple of questions. First off, how do you remove the lamps? They seem to be glued in place from the factory with some kind of red glue. Will an exacto knife be the best way to liberate the lamp holders from the sockets? What do I use to re-glue? And LED's seem to be the only kit I can find on ebay, are these fine to use? I will post some pics of my progress so far. This thing was definitely in a smoking household so please be kind. These are the before pictures... this is the most excited I have ever been. :)

 
Register to hide this ad
Lamp holders are soldered to the board if you're referring to the fuse lamps in the dial and behind the meters. Fuse lamps should pop out of the clips holding each end easily. Never run into fuse lamp glued in place.
 
Those plastic tabs WILL break off. I make brass strip tabs (.016" x .250") and add plastic model makers strip on the underside for small sheet metal screws to hold the tab.
DSCN8124.JPG
This is inside of a main lamp housing but the added plastic block on the inside to take the screw gives you the idea. On meter housings it's best to add a thinner piece spanning the top area as either the drilling the pilot hole for the screw or threading it in will shatter the area.

DSCN3937.JPG
After figuring a good length (1-1/8" from memory), they are bent and some heat shrink added for insulation and perhaps a bit of grip.

DSCN3938.JPG DSCN3939.JPG
Brackets in place and doing their job!
 
Those plastic tabs WILL break off. I make brass strip tabs (.016" x .250") and add plastic model makers strip on the underside for small sheet metal screws to hold the tab.
View attachment 2402264
This is inside of a main lamp housing but the added plastic block on the inside to take the screw gives you the idea. On meter housings it's best to add a thinner piece spanning the top area as either the drilling the pilot hole for the screw or threading it in will shatter the area.

View attachment 2402266
After figuring a good length (1-1/8" from memory), they are bent and some heat shrink added for insulation and perhaps a bit of grip.

View attachment 2402267 View attachment 2402268
Brackets in place and doing their job!

This is exactly why I Joined this site. For the wealth of knowledge that it possesses. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'll be honest. I was going to give up and just live with the darkness until you guys helped me. I am going to be surgically extricating these little lamp boards from their plastic bezels by using an exacto knife to cut the red glue of death and then since I have watched countless videos on the subject and they always seem to break the little tabs, (unavoidable on 50 year old brittle plastic), I will be using your little bracket method for placing them back into their homes. I love how it will be better than new using a mechanical fastener versus an adhesive one. I do not throw the term "genius" out very often but if the shoe fits, wear it! Thanks you guys. More pics to come!!!! :)
 
I serviced the controls and got the scratchiness out. I auditioned this receiver last night on the test bench on the JBL L-100 Century's. One word, wow. This thing has the lowest lows I have ever heard. Nice warm buttery mids and clear, crisp highs that seem to punch through the cloud cover and sing high into the heavens. I used to have an eq in my tape loop but it is not needed anymore. The FM decoder makes radio stations sound like an analog source and with an external antenna hooked in, this thing picks up every station there is. @ 52 WPC, 10hz-60khz, 0.05% thd, and a damping factor of 45, this is the greatest sounding receiver I have ever owned. :)

BTW, I have commissioned a wc-22 walnut wooden case to be built for this unit. AK has highly recommended member: Aaron99 to perform this build and his price is unbeatable. I cannot wait for this thing to arrive. I'm so excited!!!! :rockon:
 
Last edited:
Here it is, as promised. As you all know, I commissioned a walnut case to be built for this receiver by AK member "Aaron99," and it arrived on my doorstep Thursday only two days after I ordered it! I cannot speak highly enough of Aaron's work here. It is flawless. The woodwork is stunning and all the wood grain matches perfectly on all sides. My house smelled like fine furniture oil as soon as I opened it. My receiver slipped right in and all of the bolt holes lined up perfectly. It even comes with longer screws to fasten the feet through the case and into the bottom of the unit. (Solid). Aaron is a super nice guy and is extremely knowledgeable on all things Marantz. I will order all of my parts from him from now on and I highly recommend that you do too. A used original case costs more than $300 and comes with all of its dings and scratches. Aaron provides brand new cases that will last a lifetime for less than $250.00 shipped. His price is unbeatable in this respect. Thank you so much Aaron. You have made my whole year. :)

 
Back
Top Bottom