• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2265 - cracking sound on switches caused relay shut-off

anti-doom

Well-Known Member
Marantz 2265 has issue. It has cracking sound when I turn selector switch between the inputs. I has sprayed a lot of DeOxit to all the switches but not did not help. When I turned selector, for example from FM to Phono then to AUX, cracking sound caused the relay shut-off, then relay clicks in again in about 1/2 second, then it works normally. Also, FM seems to be louder then other inputs even though same volume is set. I would say 20% more. Any advice or recommendation would be much appreciated. Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Could be bad capacitors connected to the selector switch which may be allowing some DC to pass. I had the same problem once with the low filter switch on an old Pioneer receiver. Every time I switched it in, a loud pop would come through the speakers then the protection relay would click off then back on in a second or two.

Not knowing your level of expertise on how you wish to proceed with any repairs, but you could always turn off the speakers when using the selector switch. I know, what a pain but at the least it's a temporary fix.
 
Last edited:
There many wires connect directly from RCA input jacks to the selector switch. I don't see any capacitor on or near selector switch. BTW, I already recapped power supply board, pre-amp board and power amp board. When connect directly into MAIN IN, it works fine. Any suggestion? Thanks a lot.
 
Last edited:
Also, FM is still louder than other inputs. When on FM, right speaker pops when I press LOUDNESS button, left speaker is OK.
 
Last edited:
It pops when selector is changing between AUX --> PHONO --> FM --> AM. There is no pop if selector changes between AUX and TAPE1/TAPE 2.On FM, both channels work fine but louder about 30% than other inputs. When on AUX, at first both channels work, when balance slide is slid to right channel, it cuts off and right channel stops working. This symptom does not happened when on FM. Balance slide was cleaned thoroughly. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom