• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2265 vs 2216

Hi all,
I recently swapped out my Marantz 2216 for a 2265, this is the only change I’ve made to my set-up, surface noise has become more noticeable.
My TT Rega RP1 used to sit on top of my 2216 and I didn’t have an issue, the TT now sits alongside the 2265. I can’t connect a grounding cable between the TT and the 2265 as the RP1 does not have any ground lug, again as I’ve said it wasn’t an issue with the 2216.
I’m wondering could the fact that the 2265 packs more juice, could there be an increased static issue and if so is there anything I can do to remedy it?
Appreciate any feedback.
 
Register to hide this ad
The only change you made is the biggest. I'm guessing it's simple, the 2265 just has a higher noise floor than your 2216.

This could have be the fact from the factory, or most likely the 2265 has aged a bit worse than the 2216 - I'm assuming neither are restored - these are old units.
 
Try flipping the plug in both the marantz and regal. One at a time and see if it helps.
 
Unplug and turn it 180° and plug it back in. The Rega may have a polarized plug meaning one of the prongs is bigger than the other. The bigger prong is the neutral and the smaller is the hot prong.

The marantz does not have a this so its hit or miss as to which is hot or neutral unless you remove the bottom panel to look. I always open a new unit up to identify and mark the neutral with a small dab of white nail polish on the plug itself so I always get it right.
 
Thanks Bryan,
Assume since you say flip the plugs that you mean the two prong electric mains plugs (in Ireland lots of equipment has 3 prong plugs so can’t flip).
I will give it a try.
What exactly will this achieve?
 
In U.S. models with the two prong plug, polarity can matter. Occasionally, one way will hum and the other way won’t. I don’t know the theory, but experienced Marantz folks tend to know that if they have hum, they should try reversing any two prong plugs in the system - one at a time. Any of the components could be the source of the hum. Of course, this can’t be done if the original unit came with three prongs, as they did in some other countries.
 
Back
Top Bottom