• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Marantz 2270 engraved face plate data requested

dgunnr

Marantz Owner
Hello!
A while back i started a thread trying to determine how many Marantz 2270 engraved units were made by exterior color type (champagne and silver engraved) on the face plates. Simply put, there was a champagne engraved face plate and an even rarer silver engraved face plate made for the Marantz 2270. I own both, one kinda of by accident.

FYI (as far as i know) the 2270 engraved face plate production ran from 1,000-5,000 only, or 4,000 total units.

Last time this survey got side tracked with other Marantz models being also included with the 2270 and questions like "what if somebody put a engraved face plate on a higher serial unit?".

So please here is what i am trying to accumulate:
If you have a engraved Marantz 2270's from serial number 1,000 to 4,000 please indicate:
1. The serial number on the back which would be between 1,000-5,000.
2. Please indicate what color is the front of your engraved face plate (Champage or Silver)?

Over time i will share the data i collect. I have also been tracking E-Bay sales of the engraved 2270's and there unit serial numbers as well so i have some data. More data would really help answer this question.

And finally i do have a life.....lol. Thank you again for your help!!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello!
A while back i started a thread trying to determine how many Marantz 2270 engraved units were made by exterior color type (champagne and silver engraved) on the face plates. Simply put, there was a champagne engraved face plate and an even rarer silver engraved face plate made for the Marantz 2270. I own both, one kinda of by accident.

FYI (as far as i know) the 2270 engraved face plate production ran from 1,000-5,000 only, or 4,000 total units.

Last time this survey got side tracked with other Marantz models being also included with the 2270 and questions like "what if somebody put a engraved face plate on a higher serial unit?".

So please here is what i am trying to accumulate:
If you have a engraved Marantz 2270's from serial number 1,000 to 4,000 please indicate:
1. The serial number on the back which would be between 1,000-5,000.
2. Please indicate what color is the front of your engraved face plate (Champage or Silver)?

Over time i will share the data i collect. I have also been tracking E-Bay sales of the engraved 2270's and there unit serial numbers as well so i have some data. More data would really help answer this question.

And finally i do have a life.....lol. Thank you again for your help!!!
I once came across a unit someone had up with Blk speaker terminals, and "tuning" (not tuning gyro) as all of the engraved units I have seen have. I asked if it was engraved and he said, yes, but was silverfaced. The serial number 12153-I did not go and see it b/c it was too high a SN to be engraved, even though he swore it was. Not sure if someone slapped the faceplate on it.. the other confusing part was the tuning and blk terminals. Wondering if you have come across anything in your research.
 
If it was a 2270 then the number is to high. The black terminals and tuning lasted well beyond 5k.

With the exception of a few Canadian units that I believe are not really originals the engraved units appear to have ended at or around the 5,000 number. Unfortunately I don’t have many units in the 4-5k range. just over 5k I have documented enough to know the engraved units had defn ended past 5k.

The other thing is that many owners still don’t understand what an engraved unit looks like or the difference between what a champagne and silver finish looks like. This has led to errors in reporting what they actually have. However, my survey is steadily moving forward.
 
If it was a 2270 then the number is to high. The black terminals and tuning lasted well beyond 5k.

With the exception of a few Canadian units that I believe are not really originals the engraved units appear to have ended at or around the 5,000 number. Unfortunately I don’t have many units in the 4-5k range. just over 5k I have documented enough to know the engraved units had defn ended past 5k.

The other thing is that many owners still don’t understand what an engraved unit looks like or the difference between what a champagne and silver finish looks like. This has led to errors in reporting what they actually have. However, my survey is steadily moving forward.
I do not believe his unti to be engraved. I have seen high numbered Canadian Engraved units, there is actually one up on Ebay now. I have also seen (in Canada) an engraved silver faced 2325, but understand this was most likely an aftermarket created faceplate. In any event, it looked pretty sweet.
 
The 2325 never had an engraved faceplate. I don’t believe there are any after market engraved face plates for any unit either. The after market silver plates are definitely shinny and look pretty darn good. I have used them a few times on my units for sale. Hard to see any difference and the unit looks great again.
 
I know the 2325 was not apart of the engraved Marantz units. obviously, someone was able to create it. did a damn good job, it Looked great. Still confused about Canadian engraved units (higher odd SN Units) and whether they are authentic, or recreation much like the aforementioned 2325. Still seeking an engraved 2270-preferably silver faced, although that 2325 unit may be the best sounding receiver Marantz ever made.
 
It was a measure to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the company in 1972; that the first several thousand of the: 2215, 2230, 2245, 2270 receivers (and 1030, 1060 integrateds) had etched cosmetics.
 
Back
Top Bottom