• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2270 - Jumper, Preamp Out - Main In

Tom899

New Member
Hello, I just acquired a 2270 from a good friend. He bought new in 1973, and has been stored in the original box since the mid 80's
I'm in the process of cleaning it up, I brought it up slow with a Variac and Dim-Bulb Tester. Everything seems good so far. I have not hooked up any speakers yet.
My question, it does not have the "Jumper Preamp Out Main In". I questioned him, but just doesn't remember. He does remember hooking up an EQ at some point, so maybe they got removed and discarded then?
At any rate, I read, some models don't require the jumpers, internally the amp and preamp will be connected? Can someone please verify if the 2270 requires the jumpers?
If they do, I would like to find a couple, without paying $80?
Thanks,
Tom
 
Register to hide this ad
You can use short RCA cables to connect the Preamp Out to Main In until you find the jumpers you are looking for. See these available on fleabay also.

Screenshot 2026-04-06 at 8.10.59 AM.png
 
If they do, I would like to find a couple, without paying $80?
Thanks,
Tom
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer about jumpers.

Or, you could just hook it up and see if you get sound. If no sound, any pair of cables can serve as jumpers to see if that's the reason.
 
Thank you... Question, don't the OEM jumpers have the ground shield just like regular RCA cables? I thought I read, just using wire jumpers might cause noise in some instances?
 
Most of the OEM jumpers I’ve seen appear to be just a bare U shaped piece of wire.
 
The originals look like this, from the Owner's Manual ("Handbook of Instructions").
You may have a hard time finding the original ones and the later Marantz receivers had self-jumpering RCA jacks so you didn't need them.
You could also just use a short high-quality RCA patch cable, it will be shielded.
Screenshot 2026-04-06 065301.jpg
Screenshot 2026-04-06 065128.jpg
 
Thanks, I guess the originals will be hard to find, and is the reason the asking price is north of $60 and closer to $80. I will get a short pair of RCA cables until I find a reasonably priced pair of originals. Thank you everyone for your replies and knowledge, much appreciated! My serial number is 23899, from 1973. Bought at a HiFi store called Tech HiiFi, in Michigan.
 
Meh, Sony and NAD have used simple wires, even uncoated, as jumpers. The right gauge solid, or even stranded wire should do fine too, but a short RCA jumper will work fine also.


1775498062257.png
 
The 2270 market value is hovering around $3000. $80 for an original pair of jumpers to me is very fair and really peanuts all things considered. If nothing else it deserves keeping its original look and parts.
 
The 2270 market value is hovering around $3000. $80 for an original pair of jumpers to me is very fair and really peanuts all things considered. If nothing else it deserves keeping its original look and parts.
Good point! Just initial sticker shock, but getting used to it.
 
The 2270 market value is hovering around $3000. $80 for an original pair of jumpers to me is very fair and really peanuts all things considered. If nothing else it deserves keeping its original look and parts.
Might matter if one plans to sell it as all original. Functionally they're of no value over cables or other jumpers.
 
Might matter if one plans to sell it as all original. Functionally they're of no value over cables or other jumpers.
Cost was mentioned as an issue by the OP. I just think as a matter of perspective the cost of the original jumpers is actually irrelevant. Sure anyone can do with their units as they see fit.
 
Cost was mentioned as an issue by the OP. I just think as a matter of perspective the cost of the original jumpers is actually irrelevant. Sure anyone can do with their units as they see fit.
Yeah, the OP can do as he pleases. Really though, that's along the lines of sunk cost fallacy... I already have xxxx into it, I can't/why stop now.

If he has a thing for keeping it as original as possible for personal reasons, that too is fair. But, from a pragmatic functional standpoint $80 is $70 too much for the function they provide.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, the OP can do as he pleases. Really though, that's along the lines of sunk cost fallacy... I already have xxxx into it, I can't/why stop now.

If he has a thing for keeping it as original as possible for personal reasons, that too is fair. But, from a pragmatic functional standpoint $80 is $70 too much for the function they provide.
... at the same time some people pay thousands for speaker cable. There is no final answer, there are perspectives.
 
Back
Top Bottom