• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2275 - how to hook up subwoofer w L/R or LFE?

forzazzurri8

New Member
Hi guys,

I'm confused here I was hoping someone might be able to assist :)

I have a marantz 2275, the receiver has pre-amp outputs, as well as 2 sets (A/B) speaker outputs.

I have 2 Quad 11L bookshelf speakers and I am thinking of picking up a Focal Cobalt SW 800 sub which I am getting a good deal on. The problem is that the sub does not have line level speaker inputs and outputs, it only has a L/R RCA or single LFE input, what is the best (if possible) way to hook up the subwoofer? would I use y-cables to RCA on the L/R preamp section?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
Easy-peasy.

Just use Y-cables on the pre-out/main in jacks, and go into the L and R inputs (the inputs that DO go through the crossover in the subwoofer).

BTW: If you want to get more fancy, you can limit the ultra-low-frequencies going to the main speakers. Use the Y-adapters to split the signal for the subwoofer input and the Marantz amp 'main in'... but between the Y-adapter and the main-in amp input jacks, put a .039uf cap in-line with the RCA line (so that it filters JUST the amp section in the Marantz, NOT what's going to the subwoofer). This would roll off everything below about 40 Hz going to the amp section of the Marantz, which might help to limit woofer cone excursion on your main speakers. Since the subwoofer will ostensibly be doing most everything in that low-frequency range anyway, this might be a beneficial thing...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Hi Gordon, I really appreciate the quick reply, just to make sure I have this right, can you confirm the (cheesy) diagram attached is correct?

Also, if its not too much trouble, what are those main inputs for? from a logic perspective I dont understand why the y adaptor has to couple main with preamp?

Of course I am not saying this is incorrect, to the contrary in fact, just trying to learn.


Cheers, and thanks again!
 

Attachments

  • 2275r.jpg
    2275r.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 184
hmmm

This is strange to me. You are talking about hookups that are more suited to an EQ or siganl processing than a sub.

The Pre-out/Main-in is an access point to get in the signal path for various reasons. Once you connect to one of those you cause an "unhooking" of the other. The jacks have some cool "switch" mechanism in them. Some situations are you want to use the pre-amp section to drive a big @$$ main amp. So you run a cord from the pre-outs, which cuts off the main amp on the 2275. Then you just shut off the speakers on the Marantz and use al the controls to drive the other amp. OR, you don't like the pre-amp on the Marantz (just for example) and you do want to use the main amp so you connect from some other (controlled) source to the main-in. Then none of the controls on the Marantz work and everything is controlled outside.

SO, if you tap off the pre-out, you are cutting off the mains. To "finish" the signal path through the 2275 you have to use the Y to get the signal to continue by going back in the Main-in.

BUT, all that really does is put the sub in the signal path. I suppose that is OK if you don't want to use (or don't have) controls on the sub. That doesn't seem right but what-ev.

I run a line from a tape out to the sub and control the sub on the sub. I guess that could be seen as a pain because I have to adjust the regular speaker volume on the 2275 and the sub on the sub.
 
This is strange to me. You are talking about hookups that are more suited to an EQ or siganl processing than a sub.

The Pre-out/Main-in is an access point to get in the signal path for various reasons. Once you connect to one of those you cause an "unhooking" of the other. The jacks have some cool "switch" mechanism in them. Some situations are you want to use the pre-amp section to drive a big @$$ main amp. So you run a cord from the pre-outs, which cuts off the main amp on the 2275. Then you just shut off the speakers on the Marantz and use al the controls to drive the other amp. OR, you don't like the pre-amp on the Marantz (just for example) and you do want to use the main amp so you connect from some other (controlled) source to the main-in. Then none of the controls on the Marantz work and everything is controlled outside.

SO, if you tap off the pre-out, you are cutting off the mains. To "finish" the signal path through the 2275 you have to use the Y to get the signal to continue by going back in the Main-in.

BUT, all that really does is put the sub in the signal path. I suppose that is OK if you don't want to use (or don't have) controls on the sub. That doesn't seem right but what-ev.

I run a line from a tape out to the sub and control the sub on the sub. I guess that could be seen as a pain because I have to adjust the regular speaker volume on the 2275 and the sub on the sub.

Hey blhagstrom.

Now that explanation clears everything up! The sub has 3 sets of controls/adjustments.

the question is now which hookup method will provide the best sound quality. Does the single tape (either L or R) provide enough signal for the sub to really perform?

Are you sure that using the pre/main y-cable connection will eliminate the sub controls functionality?

Cheers,
 
the main in is the input to the main amp section. the pre out is the output from the preamp section. older marantz receivers use external jumpers to connect the two, like your 2275 has. unless the pre-out is connected to the main in, you get no sound from your speaker level outputs on the receiver.

some newer models, like my 2265 (non B, from ~1978) has internal jumpers that are broken when something is plugged into the jacks in back, so mine doesn't have the little jumpers. but if I were to plug a sub into mine, I'd have to connect the pre-out to the main in externally as well.
 
the main in is the input to the main amp section. the pre out is the output from the preamp section. older marantz receivers use external jumpers to connect the two, like your 2275 has. unless the pre-out is connected to the main in, you get no sound from your speaker level outputs on the receiver.

some newer models, like my 2265 (non B, from ~1978) has internal jumpers that are broken when something is plugged into the jacks in back, so mine doesn't have the little jumpers. but if I were to plug a sub into mine, I'd have to connect the pre-out to the main in externally as well.

I am 99% sure that mine doesnt have jumpers? It seems to be working now with nothing plugged in. I could be mistaken but I do not remember seeing them.
 
the main in is the input to the main amp section. the pre out is the output from the preamp section. older marantz receivers use external jumpers to connect the two, like your 2275 has. unless the pre-out is connected to the main in, you get no sound from your speaker level outputs on the receiver.

some newer models, like my 2265 (non B, from ~1978) has internal jumpers that are broken when something is plugged into the jacks in back, so mine doesn't have the little jumpers. but if I were to plug a sub into mine, I'd have to connect the pre-out to the main in externally as well.

In your opinion, which method would provide the best sound quality, using one tape out or the pre/in y adaptor method? Also, another option might be to use a y adaptor on the L/R of the tape into one Rca, then into the LFE on the sub?
 
none

the main in is the input to the main amp section. the pre out is the output from the preamp section. older marantz receivers use external jumpers to connect the two, like your 2275 has. unless the pre-out is connected to the main in, you get no sound from your speaker level outputs on the receiver.

some newer models, like my 2265 (non B, from ~1978) has internal jumpers that are broken when something is plugged into the jacks in back, so mine doesn't have the little jumpers. but if I were to plug a sub into mine, I'd have to connect the pre-out to the main in externally as well.

I have a ca. 1975 2275 and a 1977 2275, neither have external jumpers.

In your opinion, which method would provide the best sound quality, using one tape out or the pre/in y adaptor method? Also, another option might be to use a y adaptor on the L/R of the tape into one Rca, then into the LFE on the sub?

Thanks for the photo. I would run a single interconnect (patch cord) from TAPE OUT on the 2275. Y cords bother me (no reason, they just seem wrong). The sub then gets a clear signal of whatever the source is and the controls on the sub can be used to "snag" the frequency range you desire and the volume level you want. It is a "clean" signal, in that, it hasn't been through the tone controls of the 2275 as would be the case for the PRE-OUT signal. You have enough control on the sub to make it sound right. No need to bring in other controls. It's just to help get the "boom" from the signal. The "boom" frequency is either in the signal or not. A good pair of speakers will get the "boom". I don't have any sub hooked up just now (and I have some good ones) because I have speakers that can do plenty of boom without it.
 
lots

Hey blhagstrom.

Now that explanation clears everything up! The sub has 3 sets of controls/adjustments.

the question is now which hookup method will provide the best sound quality. Does the single tape (either L or R) provide enough signal for the sub to really perform?

Are you sure that using the pre/main y-cable connection will eliminate the sub controls functionality?

Cheers,

There is all the signal in the tape out. A powered sub has an amp built in (I have a Klipsch with a 400 watt amp in it) so you have more than you need.
 
Ah,

Thanks for that suggestion, wouldnt running only one channel of the tape send only the "boom" from only one channel? Is it worth to use 2 rca cables, L from tape into left on sub? then same for the right channel?
 
:lurk: I wouldn't use tape output - the level never changes so you would have to adjust bass levels every time you change volume. The preamp out levels will follow the volume level on the receiver. Once you adjust the levels and controls on the sub, you shouldn't have to readjust them. Use the left and right inputs on the sub.
 
:lurk: I wouldn't use tape output - the level never changes so you would have to adjust bass levels every time you change volume. The preamp out levels will follow the volume level on the receiver. Once you adjust the levels and controls on the sub, you shouldn't have to readjust them. Use the left and right inputs on the sub.

I have been doing some research this morning, on a particularly uneventful workday and my investigation has led to the same conclusion.

It seems that this would be the best way to go, one further question, would modifying the tone controls on the sub also modify the signal going into the marantz? Thus, "coloring" the sound? or do the tone controls affect the driver on the sub directly not changing the signal at all. I am assuming this is the case since the sub doesnt not have a line out connection.
 
A headphone extension cord from the headphone jack can be used as a low wattage source for the sub's input, probably the safest and simplest solution as this bypasses speaker circuitry. For two subs, use a "Y" splitter, Rat Shack is your friend. I'm not familiar with your Marantz, is there a possibility you might use the dubbing "out" option on the front panel?

For your consideration, I'm currently running four standmounters supported with four active subs. From a Pio. SX-1980, the front channel mains are run straight from spkr. A "out". The rear speakers and subs are driven through a Niles SSVC4, a four pair speaker selector switch with volume control. This is connected to spkr B "out" on the reciever. This allows the fronts to be driven directly from the amp, rears and each pair of subs can then be adjusted for desired volume through the selector and also allows reduced input to the subs, eliminating problems associated with compounded gain. The subs are connected to the SSVC4 using 14 gauge speaker wire "pig tails", a bared wire connection to the Niles, at the other end terminated with a male RCA to the sub's "in". All speakers are Paradigm and wired for true two channel stereo. After they're through laughing about the four subs, others tell me the rig sounds pretty good.
 
No tape out......

Okay, forzazzurri8........As stated just above the signal from the tape-out jacks is a constant line level signal....if you use those, the sub level will be a constant....when you turn the Marantz volume up or down, the sub will stay where it is, either too loud or too soft, relative to the mains......:nono::thumbsdn:

The settings on the sub will NOT affect the mains.....there is no feedback from the sub to the Marantz.......

As said above...hook up the y-connections.....start with the sub volume down very low......play familiar (to you) music...then adjust the sub volume to a pleasing level....also the phase and Frequency controls can be tweaked......once you get it set.......Forget it...........:yes:

Hope this helps.....willhowl:D
 
Okay, forzazzurri8........As stated just above the signal from the tape-out jacks is a constant line level signal....if you use those, the sub level will be a constant....when you turn the Marantz volume up or down, the sub will stay where it is, either too loud or too soft, relative to the mains......:nono::thumbsdn:

The settings on the sub will NOT affect the mains.....there is no feedback from the sub to the Marantz.......

As said above...hook up the y-connections.....start with the sub volume down very low......play familiar (to you) music...then adjust the sub volume to a pleasing level....also the phase and Frequncy controls can be tweaked......once you get it set.......Forget it...........:yes:

Hope this helps.....willhowl:D

Willhowl, you just made my day! Thank you! you answered all my questions...

Thanks to everyone on the thread for the great suggestions, today I learned a little bit more about home audio :)
 
Both

Ah,

Thanks for that suggestion, wouldnt running only one channel of the tape send only the "boom" from only one channel? Is it worth to use 2 rca cables, L from tape into left on sub? then same for the right channel?

Whatever you do, with the Marantz, you want to use stereo cables (both L and R) and the twin inputs on the sub.

The Y cable on the pre/main is probably the best situation, then the receiver will control the output on the sub.
 
my bad on the pre-main interconnect issue. I assumed since the 2275 is one of the older models, it was like my 2230, which does not have internal switching (like my 2265 has), and needs the external jumpers....
 
Back
Top Bottom