• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2325 Dolby Switch Broken Shaft

Marantz6G

Member
I've searched and searched and cannot find the exact answer to my question. I'm working on a 2325 with a broken shaft on the Dolby switch. I've read quite a few threads describing how to replace the shaft with one from a donor switch, and I'd like to try and go this route. My question is, does the donor switch need to be a Dolby switch (2325, 4300, 4400, etc.), or are there other switches on other models that could be used as donors? People are asking absolutely insane prices for Dolby switches and I'd like to know if there are other options.

Thank you in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
I've searched and searched and cannot find the exact answer to my question. I'm working on a 2325 with a broken shaft on the Dolby switch. I've read quite a few threads describing how to replace the shaft with one from a donor switch, and I'd like to try and go this route. My question is, does the donor switch need to be a Dolby switch (2325, 4300, 4400, etc.), or are there other switches on other models that could be used as donors? People are asking absolutely insane prices for Dolby switches and I'd like to know if there are other options.

Thank you in advance!
Here's a spreadsheet to use to cross reference parts:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-reference-spreadsheet-now-searchable.923978/
 
Of course I just searched and there is nothing there for the Dolby switch.
Thanks so much for the link and this is great information. That said, yes, based on the spreadsheet the 2325 Dolby switch is unique to that model. I'm hoping there is another non-Dolby switch from another model with a similar shaft length I can use as a donor.
 
I have repaired some pots and switches using 5mm brass rod, high strength epoxy and a cutoff of a donor switch with some success. It might be worth a try if you can't find an original. I also use a bit of grease when I install the knob as I don't want it to rip off if the knobs need to come off.

20240110_145815.jpg

20240110_145803.jpg
 
I have repaired many broken shafts with the process I describe in this thread

 
I have repaired many broken shafts with the process I describe in this thread

Thank you, Bob! Do you have any suggested sources for donor potentiometers that would work for this method, or any specifications you typically use?
 
Back
Top Bottom