MBuras
Restoration is an Addiction
Ok. Here's the deal. I usually don't use FM to check rebuilds because it's another set of wires. Just AUX so maybe that's my lesson learned here. Anyway, on to the problem.
Unit was working but experiencing some transistor issues in the preamp. Rebuilt preamp - tested - worked fine through AUX. Rebuilt selector/phono board - tested - worked fine through AUX. Rebuilt power board - tested - worked fine through AUX. Rebuilt amp - tested - worked fine through AUX. All boards related to tuner were not touched at all, even inadvertently.
In fact I had this unit running through AUX and then phono for a total of 1 hour and everything was fine until I switched to FM to finally test it. No FM. Just blank. No tuning meter movement, no stereo light, nothing. And within minutes of switching to that input wisps of smoke started coming from the area of Q816 on the power board (DS131-B replaced with MUR1620CTG).
I can only assume the events are somehow related but can't comprehend how it works fine in other modes.
Anyone have some quick tips on troubleshooting this monster? There seems to be very little posted about it in the forums.
Thanks!!!!!
Unit was working but experiencing some transistor issues in the preamp. Rebuilt preamp - tested - worked fine through AUX. Rebuilt selector/phono board - tested - worked fine through AUX. Rebuilt power board - tested - worked fine through AUX. Rebuilt amp - tested - worked fine through AUX. All boards related to tuner were not touched at all, even inadvertently.
In fact I had this unit running through AUX and then phono for a total of 1 hour and everything was fine until I switched to FM to finally test it. No FM. Just blank. No tuning meter movement, no stereo light, nothing. And within minutes of switching to that input wisps of smoke started coming from the area of Q816 on the power board (DS131-B replaced with MUR1620CTG).
I can only assume the events are somehow related but can't comprehend how it works fine in other modes.
Anyone have some quick tips on troubleshooting this monster? There seems to be very little posted about it in the forums.
Thanks!!!!!

