• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 24 preamp champagne engraved price check

inthefade

AK Member
im thinking of picking up a marantz 24 engraved face to try out and was wondering what a decent price was on one. eBay is not much help, I saw a wide $ range for listed and sold. This one just has the power supply caps replaced. He wants $225 for it (no wood case)

Thanks for any help.
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't advise you on pricing but I will suggest that you look for reviews on this before you buy it. I bought one of those for a friend of mine a couple of years back. It had some bad components, mainly the failure-prone 2SC458 small signal transistors.

After I got it going, it went to him. He really didn't like it and wound up selling it soon after. The 24 seems to have a reputation of being OK but not in the same league as other Marantz components of the early-mid 1970s.

For about the same money, you can buy a 2230 that will have a better tuner, an equal or better preamp, and a nice 30+ WPC power amp. I've used a 2230 as a preamp into a big power amp and it works well that way. Just be sure that you check that any 2230 or other Marantz 22xx receiver you may buy for this has preamp out and power amp in jacks. I think some 2230s and 1060 amps didn't have them, most did.

Those are just my thoughts and they're worth what you paid for them. I'd suggest that you listen to it and see if you like it. If so, buy it!
 
The new caps are good, but I second what LexDM3 said about the 2SC458's. $225 sounds a little on the high side if it doesn't have a wooden case. I'd ask $175, maybe $200 if it's in really nice shape.

I had a model 27 a while back and thought it sounded pretty good (the 24 and 27 are from the same generation), although not as good as some of the classics from later Marantz lines. They seems to have a "clunkier" feel to the build as well.
 
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to pass on the 24. I currently use a passive preamp and wanted to switch it up a little bit. I actually have a 2230 I use in the basement and didn't think to use it as a preamp. I'll give it a spin.
 
Back
Top Bottom